This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

There are things we grow up wishing to be part of our everyday lives but never knowing quite how to get it accomplished. Growing up as a minority means we get to experience the world through different lenses. Though our personal lives are filled with love, joy, sadness, and peace just like everyone else’s we get to see the world through filtered lenses. As a Mexican-American, I see the ways in which American culture is different from the Mexican culture. There is a prevalent American culture that includes customs, language, cultural celebrations, lifestyle, and an entirely different community. This is not to say that I am half satisfied with my life or that I don’t live comfortably. Rather, that culture is an essential part of a person’s identity and without it, we don’t know who we are. My national identity can be an American, but I still feel like I need to know about my roots. This goes for everyone as well. In order for us to live in harmony with one another, we need to be in touch with the essence of what makes us who we are. Precisely because we do not get to see ourselves represented, in the mainstream world, quite as often or in the manner that we wish to be, it makes it more challenging to be accepting of ourselves. We have come a long way in including and improving the representation of minorities, in the mainstream world, but it is a challenge we need to work towards every day.

All this is why “The Black Panther” is a movie that has broken the box office and has people obsessing over it. It is simply a movie that does not get made every day. American audiences have been craving to see a movie that is different. Not only are Black audiences glorifying “The Black Panther,” but it is significant for all minority audiences. This is the Marvel Comic movie with the most inclusive cast and the most popular. It is awesome and anybody is free to like or dislike it.

Marvel Comics fans have a lifestyle all of itself. Marvel Comics has brought to life the genius creations of artists who have devoted their entire lives to the artistic craft of the writing of comic books. Marvel Comics have been able to give people the privilege to be taken to worlds that are a blend of imagination, reality, art, and has a personal touch. This personal touch is meant to make us feel the joy of being able to put ourselves in the characters’ shoes. Devoted fans watch the Marvel movies religiously because it feels like a part of who they are. This is one of the ways in which Americans feel united, through the sharing of interests, even if it is through something like Marvel comics or movies. It truly is a whole universe all of in itself. 

Photo by Lena Orwig in Unsplash

The most exciting part of a movie like this, coming out in theaters, is knowing that a younger generation is learning about what is possible on the big screen. I imagine young kids learning about diversity through “The Black Panther” and learning that they, too, can be superheroes. It simply can be life-changing for every audience to be allowed to feel like a part of something greater.  

I am a creative person who enjoys learning about the ways in which art can take different forms. My passions include learning about issues that effect our lives; things ranging from politics, media, culture, music, art, philosophy, technology, or education. I am a Chicago native and an undergraduate student at UIC majoring in English and minoring in Film.
UIC Contributor.