Style

What You Need to Know Before Stretching Your Ears

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Stretching your ear lobes is a great way to express yourself and an opportunity to wear fun new jewelry, but there are some considerations to make before deciding to stretch. Here are some pointers I learned from my stretching journey. 

1. Think It Over

Make sure that you really want stretched lobes before you begin the process. Everyone’s ears are different, and while some people are able to heal back to “normal” after stretching, other’s ears do not shrink back after the jewelry is removed. I contemplated stretching my ears for months before I finally felt confident enough to go ahead with it.

My ear stretched to size 0g

2. Use the Correct Materials

The most common method for stretching is using tapers, which are cone-shaped objects you guide through your ear piercing to transition from one size to the next. The type of taper you buy is important. Acrylic tapers are the cheapest option, but they are not as sterile and do not stretch as smoothly as stainless steel. Never wear your tapers as jewelry! They will weigh down on your ears and could create an uneven stretch. 

3. Take Your Time

Don’t rush the stretching process. Attempting to change sizes too rapidly could cause you to tear/injure your ear or stretch incorrectly. Save yourself a lot of pain and wait a couple of months between stretches until your ear is ready to easily transition.

4. Clean Consistently

Like any other piercing, stretched ears require consistent cleaning. Without cleaning you risk infection (and smelly ears). I wash my ears daily in the shower and use Jojoba oil when inserting tapers or jewelry and it makes the stretching process a whole lot easier.

Do some research, stretch safely, and enjoy your new look!

Emma is a third-year student studying Communication at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
UIC Contributor.