This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

On Wednesday night, Weezer released an album of covers, Weezer (The Teal Album), including a cover of TLC’s song “No Scrubs.” This particular cover was the most shocking to people, due to Weezer’s status as an alternative rock band, and also TLC’s status as a R&B girl group. As usual, the Internet had no trouble voicing their opinions. One Twitter user, @nickowens100, said, “weezer covered no scrubs by tlc and yeah it’s exactly as bad as you’re imagining”. On the other hand, another user @EddieGPinson tweeted, “Weezer dropping a surprise cover album gave me a cover of ‘No Scrubs’ I didn’t know I needed”. The lead singer of Weezer, Rivers Cuomo, explained their decision to cover the song, “I just thought it’s one of those songs that’s freakishly popular.” Cuomo also decided to keep the original pronouns of the song. Cuomo said, “I was trying to decide which gender perspective to sing it from then I saw this tweet that said, ‘If you’re a guy covering a song by a girl, you gotta keep the pronouns. For those three minutes you’re gay.’ So I was like, ‘Cool, let’s try this.”Regardless of your feelings about Weezer’s cover of “No Scrubs”, it is clearly an interesting move to release Weezer (The Teal Album). The album has not only gained publicity because of its cover of “No Scrubs”. The album also includes covers of Toto’s “Africa,” Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean,” The Turtle’s “Happy Together,” Ben E. King’s “Stand By Me,” and a-ha’s “Take on Me.” If this is a strategy by Weezer to get people excited for their next original album, The Black Album, which comes out on March 1, its working (of course, except for those who hate the new rendition of “No Scrubs”).

Mia is a sophomore at UIC pursuing a double major in history and Spanish. She is also pursuing a double minor in museum studies and social justice.
UIC Contributor.