The Ultimate Paradox: Financial Success and Happiness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

“Money is numbers and numbers never end. If it takes money to be happy, your search for happiness will never end.” -Bob Marley

In our contemporaneous society, an increasing number of secondary school students willfully choose to continue their education past their high school years, meticulously planning what higher educational facility they wish to attend. Many of these tenacious students are goal-oriented and focused, motivated to jumpstart their careers and attain a sense of self-satisfaction and fulfillment through their scrupulous studies. The phenomena, overall, is a wonderful asset to society itself. Millennials are educated and knowledgeable; they are tech-savvy and knowingly (or unknowingly) able to acclimate themselves into arduous professional settings. They are well-versed in a multitude of different arenas, including: math, language, history, politics, etc. As with all other viewpoints and worldly phenomena, this upsurge in education and schooling is accompanied with both advantages and possible hindrances. Our societal fascination with the words ‘money’, ‘success’ and ‘happiness’ has infiltrated the minds of our youth, many of whom can no longer distinguish the difference.

Residing in our current sociopolitical climate obsequious to materialism that glorifies the powerful and influential (the CEOs, the Chancellors, the Principals, the politicians), some millennials opt for occupations solely dependent upon salary and projected job growth. Eager to become an influential persona and/or secure a stable, well-paying job, some millennials may be impeding upon their talents, restricting themselves in search of lucrative wealth. Unfortunately, the notion of success has been increasingly intertwined with one’s financial assets. To many, they seem interdependent and contingent upon one another. Without money, you will never be happy and with it, you will lead a life of prosper, fulfillment and joy, right?  In actuality, that diverges very far from the truth.

What is the truth then, you may ask? In actuality, the truth is always relative and wholly subjective; it is something that is completely dependent upon our personal worldviews and morality. That being said, I believe that genuine happiness and an honest sense of self-satisfaction are not attainable through outside measures but stem from within. Fame is not the key to leading a purposeful life and money should never be one’s sole driving force. As an undergraduate collegiette, this phenomenon is somethings I have encountered rather regularly. As an inherently curious and inquisitive person, I will always begin an interpersonal conversation with a fellow collegiette inquiring about their specified major, what they intend to do in the future and most importantly, why they envisioned that personalized direction. Unfortunately, many of the responses I receive fall into one singular, cohesive category, “My parents made me do it” or “I want to be wealthy” or “I’ll make a lot of money”. Of course, prospects regarding imminent financial stability is a valid and understandable concern, stemming from students overburdened by financial debt whom often feel overwhelmed and underappreciated. These individuals frequently juggle part-time jobs and/or full-time jobs while simultaneously attempting to prioritize their studies- a grueling task with many concomitant struggles.

The terminology diminished returns narrates the phenomena well, addressing all of its accompanying components. Similar the economic term diminishing marginal utility, money is certainly able to increase self-reported levels of happiness for low income families, but this concept is almost entirely diminished as income rises. In other words, as income rises, one’s self-perceived happiness does not necessarily follow suit. Happiness, therefore, is mediated by economic status, but solely under minimalistic margins. Indeed, “economic growth in affluent countries have provided no apparent boost to morale or social well-being” my old Psych textbook entitled Myer’s Psychology for A.P decrees. The desire for wealth after college, therefore, is grounded upon partial fallacy.

Accordingly, I encourage everyone to find their passions and chase them with pronounced fervor and zeal. If your passion is not reflected in any intended occupation, create your own. Transcend your financial concerns. There is no blueprint for life, so live as you see fit outside of excessive materialistic concerns and preoccupations. Leap beyond your self-perceived and self-induced financial constraints. When choosing an intended career path, remember that money is no way assures happiness. Prioritize your happiness.

Although possibly morbid in nature, imagine yourself on your deathbed. Will your financial assets and accumulated material luxuries matter? Will your wealth hold any substantial significance? No, it will not. What will make all the difference and encourage a peaceful transition, will be precisely how you felt throughout your lifetime and whether you developed a meaningful, happy life philosophy without excessive monetary accumulation.

One hundred years from now

It will not matter

What kind of car I drove

What kind of house I lived in

How much money I had

In my bank account,

Nor what my clothes looked like.

But (that) the world maybe a little bit better

-Forest E. Witcraft 

On my personal, individualized growth journey toward happiness. Currently studying Applied Psychology and Spanish, pursuing a career in Social Work and Mental Health.  "You presume you are small entity, but within you is enfolded the entire universe" --Imam Ali ****strong opinions, weakly held****  
UIC Contributor.