UICs very own Dan Fournier, Senior in the Graphic Design program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Where did you grow up, and what made you decide to attend school in Chicago?
-I kind of grew up all over the place. Was born in Oceanside, CA, July 22, 1989, moved to Houston, TX, Orlando, FL, Scottsdale, AZ, and then finally Naperville, IL. I’ve lived here the longest, around 9 years now, and then my family moved back to Scottsdale for my Dad’s work about 2 years ago. I decided to go to school at UIC because of the location (I love Chicago) and it’s excellent graphic design program. 

What about Graphic Design intrigued you to pursue it?
-Probably the way it speaks to me visually in general. It’s one thing to speak with someone using the word, but once you start using typography, images, and other elements, it brings that communication to an entirely new level. Design has the unique power to turn chaos and disorder into something beautiful and easily-understood for the audience. 

What professional experience have you’ve received while attending UIC?
-During my freshman and sophomore years, I worked at a company called Discount Tire as a service technician, repairing and replacing tires and wheels for customers. At the end of my sophomore year, I applied for a design job at a financial research firm called Morningstar, which deals with stock and fund research. I’ve been with them for almost two years now.

Biggest influence in your life? How this person has influenced you?
-I’d say my Dad is the biggest influence in my life. He’s the one who knows me best, and he always gives the best advice when it comes to professional or social situations. He’s also a little bit goofy, but I love him for that. When my Mom passed away from cancer when I was 9 years-old, he kept working to help support my two younger siblings and I going through school, and I’ve never seen such devotion. 

What do you plan to do after graduation this Spring? (Exciting!) 
-I’m currently applying for multiple jobs to help get my name around before I graduate. Right now, I’ve narrowed it down to Morningstar, which is still in the process of reviewing my portfolio, ESPN, which is interested in my work and are looking to hire, and a marketing firm I’ve been doing consulting work out in Scottsdale for. Other places I applied to are Adidas, Nike, Apple, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, and Twitter. I really hope to land a job at Morningstar because I love the city and I wouldn’t stand to move again. 

Any other organizations you are involved in at UIC? (Any special positions you hold) 
-I was accepted into Phi Eta Sigma my freshman year, which is an honors academic fraternity. 
-I have been an officer for the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) for two years, which focuses on building ideas of design for the school and surrounding community. 
-For a year-and-a-half, I volunteered for a program called the UIC GIVE initiative, which donates its efforts to struggling schools and neighborhoods in the Chicago-land area. 
-In the Fall of 2011, I was accepted into the Gamma Kappa Chapter of the Theta Xi Fraternity, which is the largest and most prominent fraternity on campus. I’m currently the fraternity’s Webmaster (here’s the website I made for our chapter:www.thetaxiuic.com).

Do you have a website where we can contact you for projects/work?
-Here’s my most up-to-date portfolio website. Look forward to more updates in the near future: www.danfournierdesign.com

Ceida is a third-year student at the University of Illinois at Chicago, studying graphic design with an interest in editorial. She has interned for a fashion photographer, Hesita&Bear (a luxury homeware company) and plans to continue her trek in the visual communications industry. Ceida loves exploring the Windy City, and more importantly: she enjoys showing it off. Her pass times include drinking coffee, thrifting, and listening to old-school Jazz, and photography! She is also a proud member of Phi Sigma Sigma National Sorority.