Ten Ways to Keep An Extra Buck in Your Wallet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Being a college student is expensive. Paying for rent, tuition, and your social life leaves little room for saving your hard-earned cash. Here are ten easy ways to help you save money and avoid spending it in the wrong places.

Make Your Own Coffee. We’re all limited on time in the morning, but taking an extra five to ten minutes to make your own cup of coffee outweighs the costs of buying coffee from the local Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts by hundreds—even thousands—of dollars. You can purchase your own coffee grinder for a low price and buy the brands or flavors of your preference. You can purchase a 12-cup coffee maker at Target for $24.99.

Pack A Lunch. Spending money on Wendy’s or Subway daily will take a huge toll on your checking account. Pack a lunch the night before or each morning. Not only do you save money, but chances are you’ll pack a healthier snack.

Avoid ATM Fees. If you need cash, avoid ATM fees of up to $5.00 by either using your bank’s ATMs or purchasing a pack of gum at a nearby Walgreens or 7-Eleven and getting cash back. You’re better off spending a dollar on gum than losing $3.00-5.00 you won’t get back.

Use Public Transportation. Make use of the very accessible public transportation. A U-Pass is included for all full-time UIC students, allowing you to use CTA buses and trains everyday of the week an unlimited amount of times. Instead of spending hundreds of dollars on gas and parking each semester, hop on the “L” and save time and money. Driving to campus each day increases your chances of an accident, causing you to spend money on maintenance and repairs.

Refill and Reuse. Instead of buying bottled water at a convenience store, refill your own water bottle daily. Save the $2.00!

Rent Your Textbooks. Don’t buy your books full price, rent them for practically half the price. CHEGG.COM allows students to rent books for a cheap price and return them at the end of the semester. If you prefer purchasing your books and selling them to other students, use AMAZON.COM or HALF.COM. You’ll save $200.00-300.00 a semester!

Search for Sales. Don’t buy new clothing at retail price. Prices normally go down after two weeks when stores get new shipments. Search for coupon codes when shopping online or discounts and sales when shopping in stores. Chances are you’ll find a blouse that is identical to the designer brand, but not so harsh on your wallet.

Quit Smoking. The price of cigarettes can reach over $10.00 in the city. On average, a person smokes half a pack to a pack a day, which is about $50.00 a week. Save your money and stay healthy!

Practice Portion Control. When eating out, you don’t have to get the supersize meal or the extra large drink. Treat yourself, but don’t overdo it. Eat until you’re no longer hungry, not until you’re stuffed.

Balance Your Checkbook and Keep Your Receipts. There is no better way to track how much money you spend than by keeping track of all your purchases. Check your bank statement and see what you spend the majority of your income on. For example, if it’s food, reduce the amount of times a week you dine out.

Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.