This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

In the most non-diverse town of Illinois; in the most suburbian suburb you could find; the most desolate and bland to buttress in all of the Chicagoland area is the village of Oak Lawn. With the only exciting place to have an adventure is the dying community pool, or if you’re lucky enough, the village district park propped next to the parking lot of a Jewel Osco– any small or hidden gem is worth more than just its superficial value. 

Two summers ago, I was in the car with my best friend, in search of some remnants of an adventure, when it just so happened that we drove down a street we normally would not. Next to the typical bar that middle-aged white suburban fathers go to on weekends was a newer looking place. A bold and black Caveat font on top of the place read aloud “Tea Yard”. My best friend and I rushed our way to this place so quickly that we were still unaware as to what was behind its doors. To our discovery– it was a family owned, bubble tea shop, with other treats and items that were all made inside the mini café.

From that day on, each week during that summer, we would go back to get bubble tea. We ended up finding a quaint, beautiful park not too far from the bubble tea shop, and would go on the swings, singing and gossiping, while sipping on our boba intermittently and in intervals. The most exciting part of my week was going to Tea Yard, to which I am pretty sure the largest sum of my paycheck summed into those purchases alone– but I did not care (obviously). There was something gratifying about getting bubble tea from a small, family owned business in my neighborhood, especially when the owners were not suburban-white like the rest of town (including their restaurant/bar neighbors). Tea Yard is located in “downtown” Oak Lawn, where the village court and police station is located. With a background like mine, this was not something I affiliated or felt community with. So to frequent my time at a place like Tea Yard felt safer, more inviting, and of course, was worth every penny sent their way.

The other customers that came to Tea Yard also were just as kind and bubbly– almost as if this boba shop attracted these kinds of people! While I haven’t made solid friends or acquaintances during my trips, I certainly have had wonderful encounters with the folks there every time I go– only creating more positivity around the time that I go to get my weekly bubble tea.

Here are all of my favorite orders from Tea Yard’s menu:

• Brown Sugar Bubble Milk Tea with Tapioca Pearls
  • Sakura Rose Milk Green Tea with Lychee Jelly Toppings
  • Purple Yam Cloud Milk Tea
  • Strawberry Milk Tea with Tapioca Pearls
  • Taro Smoothie
  • Cookies Cream Frappe
  • Vanilla Latte Frappe

While I can go on and on about all of my favorite orders (which is practically the entire menu), I will list off one last item. My absolute favorite order– which is only on the menu in limited quantities– is the Creme Brulee Bubble Milk Tea with Tapioca Pearls. I have not been able to order this in about a year, as it is either seasonal or does not come much into their shipments, assumingly. Luckily for me, I have many other sweet and flavorful alternatives to make up for the loss of the Creme Brulee milk tea. 

The biggest takeaway I have learned is that even in the most boring town, there is always at least one hidden gem– even if it is in the next town over. For me, it was down a road I refused to go down, because of the Trump and Blue Lives Matter signs were scattered amongst the residentials in this area. Had I not taken a turn down a road I did not originally like, I would have never come to Tea Yard and learn how to go local adventures; I would not have found the park not too far away; and I certainly would not have had made these abundant memories with the locals there, too, and my best friend to which we have come to become regular customers of theirs. 

The importance of locating and supporting small businesses stems in the empathy and sharing of experiences with the essence of that place. For a white-washed town, representation in any form is essential, especially in a pro-cop town, too. Small businesses are the backbones of many towns and cities that have monopolized into any form of corporate capitalism– where it truly is a breath of fresh air to help profit a business that brings authenticity and genuine quality. While I would absolutely recommend Tea Yard to any newcomer into Oak Lawn, part of me still holds a need to keep this café sacred to me and let it stay as a hidden gem, so as to lessen the traffic on my weekly runs to grab their boba.

As a third year student at UIC, Danyah double majors in Political Science and Criminology, minors in Psychology, and is currently on the pre-law track. Outside of academics, she loves to read, write, crotchet, make and listen to music, and go on mini-adventures, locally! She loves to read/write about self-growth and development, policy and legislative impacts, social issues, skincare, movie, music and series reviews, pop-culture, and anything and everything in between! There is nothing Danyah won't listen to (or talk) about, and continues to further her academic and personal education through the connection of other people with a continuous yearning and curiosity!