R.I.P. Trayvon Martin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

On February 26, 2012, Trayvon Martin was fatally shot by George Zimmerman. 

His death was 4 years ago, but it is something that I will always remember. This is the day when African-American parents began to question “Is my kid next?”. Also, I started to wonder “Am I next?”. This is the day that 15-year-old me truly saw the world for what it is. This world is a place where people can have so much hate, fear, or racism in their hearts that they could take the life of another, and get away with doing so. However, I know there is still peace, love, and sound minds existing. So no matter what happened the night of February 26, I will continue to be strong, always remember Trayvon’s story, and send my prayers to his friends and family.

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.