This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

The Power of the Planner

Before college, I underestimated the power of the planner. In high school, I was in a college prep class called “AVID” and one of the weekly assignments was planner checks. I always was so bad with planner checks and just had blank pages. Then I got to college and I realized that I need a way to keep everything together in one book. In college, yeah teachers might email you about assignments and there are the notices on Blackboard, but when you are taking 5 classes the due dates can get jumbled in your head. Especially with the tedious assignments that point-wise can add up. Freshmen year I did not keep up with a planner and I suffered because of it. My time management was horrible and assignments became overwhelming. It got so bad to the point that one time I missed an exam. I cried because I thought I was just missing a regular class day. Of course there is nothing professors can do and the responsibility is left up to you. So I decided to do something about it and not let something like that happen ever again.

I got a planner which became the best thing ever. When you first get a planner it may be hard to write in it everyday but it soon becomes something you check everyday like your Instagram timeline. Before the semester starts and I have access to the syllabus, I write down all the due dates. I write down exams, what chapters we are going over, homework, extra credit, and no-class days. Writing down the basic stuff will ensure that you do not miss anything. Then once the semester starts and I start to understand the class, I like to set reminders for these assignments. For example, two weeks before an exam write that you need to start studying. Then, you can hold yourself accountable and it makes it easier to break down the chapters you need to read. 

1. Get a planner 

• decorate it, make it personal so you will want to carry it around!

2. Read your syllabus and mark all of the important dates 

• Color code by class if that helps 

3. Write reminders for homework and exams in advance 

• Give yourself at least 2 weeks to study and depending on the homework assignment, a couple of days 

4. Organize reading material and separate by days to make more manageable 

5. Prioritize what is most important to avoid being overwhelmed

6. Cross items off! It’s so satisfying having a crossed-off to-do list

• college
  • organization
  • planner
  • Maya is currently a Senior at University of Illinois at Chicago. She is majoring in Integrated Health Studies with the goal of becoming a genetic counselor. She joined HER and is excited for all the article she will create. She enjoys staying connected with pop culture and all the new restaurants.
    UIC Contributor.