This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

The radio may seem like an outdated medium but through podcasts, audio media is thriving. I started listening to podcasts a few years ago and have only grown to love them more as time goes by. Podcasts can keep you company on public transit, entertain you as you walk around campus, or lull you to sleep at night. The range of shows that exist is astounding and listening to them has the power to move, entertain, or educate. You have access to thousands of these free podcasts in the palm of your hand. Here are some of my personal favorites. 

This American Life

This American Life and its sister podcast Serial were what initially got me interested in podcasts. Host Ira Glass presents the listener with a new theme for each episode and shares stories related to that theme. The stories can be topical and dramatic or humorous and lighthearted but they are always interesting. This American Life has something for everyone.

Recommended Episode: “24 Hours at the Golden Apple”

My Favorite Murder

As a fan of true crime, this podcast is a joy for me to listen to. Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark bring laughter to a macabre subject matter, telling each other stories about crime but with a humorous twist and an emphasis on mental health. With one episode and one minisode released each week, the show’s catalog is endless and ready for you to dive into.

Recommended Episode: “Investigateighteen Discovery”

Casefile

Where My Favorite Murder is on the funnier side, Casefile offers a more serious approach to true crime stories. An anonymous narrator (with a soothing Australian accent) tells detailed accounts of true crime stories. The podcast’s episodes are full of excellent research and shocking tales.

Recommended Episode: “The Chicago Tylenol Murders”

Deadly Manners

Shifting to podcasts that tell fictional stories, Deadly Manners is like a modern radio drama. Featuring the voices of Kristen Bell, RuPaul, Anna Chlumsky and more, Deadly Manners is like a movie for your ears. Follow a cast of vivid characters as a fancy dinner party soon turns into a thrilling murder mystery. The show only has ten episodes- perfect for binging.

LeVar Burton Reads

You may remember him from Reading Rainbow or Star Trek but Levar Burton is now a successful podcaster! Each episode, Burton reads aloud a work of short fiction and proves that no one is too old for storytime.

Recommended Episode: “The Second Bakery Attack”

Emma is a third-year student studying Communication at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
UIC Contributor.