Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Make The Most Out Of Valentine’s Day, Without a Valentine!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Remember elementary school? When you would spend the day crafting a valentine card box while a bag full of cute little cards and candy were in your backpack, waiting to be given out to your classmates? Getting on the bus with a box full of other valentines and comparing them with your friends? Sadly, life now just isn’t like that, however, that doesn’t mean Valentine’s day has to be a bust! Be your own valentine and love yourself up this year!

Buy Yourself Dinner

Take yourself out to eat, who cares if you’re alone?! You don’t need to impress anyone but yourself! Or, order food for delivery that you’ve never had before, but have really been wanting to try. Have your own mini feast and spend the night falling in love with a new restaurant or meal this year.

Treat Yourself To a Little Shopping Trip

Go out after work or class and buy yourself something nice. If the funds allow it, go ahead and splurge on yourself. Anything from those leggings you’ve been eyeing for the past few weeks or groceries to restock the fridge. Love and reward yourself.

Cuddle Up To Yourself, Or Your Pillow, For a Movie Marathon

Whoever said you needed to cuddle up to someone else to enjoy a movie? Use your dog or cat as a furry little cuddle buddy. The best part is, they won’t constantly talk during the movie. Or, channel your inner child and make a little pillow fort to hide under while watching movies. Then there’s plenty of couch space and you don’t have to share your snacks.

Catch Up On Work

While this may not sound like an ideal way to spend a holiday, no one has ever said “wow, I really regret not finishing that task/assignment.” Give your future self some love by finishing or getting ahead in anything you can while you still have time. Take time to sort yourself out, or plan ahead and love your newfound sense of organization.

Understand That Love Doesn’t Just Come From a Significant Other

Valentine’s day may be seen as the holiday that reminds single people just how single they are, but you don’t have to see it that way. Define this day as a celebration of love. Love for your family, your friends, your pets, your home, anything that has made you smile and anything that has taught you a lesson. But, most importantly, celebrate a love for yourself.

Hello! My name is Sonia & I am a freshman at UIC! I am currently majoring in Biology with a pre-veterinary medicine track! This is also my first year on the editorial team for UIC's HER Campus chapter!
UIC Contributor.