This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

So if you’re anything like me, it has been a long week and you’re ready for a nice night in with some friends. As you sit there with your face masks and snacks, searching through Netflix, you realize there is nothing to watch. Well, there is an alternative to Netflix, that is free to certain college students, believe it or not, and it’s called Kanopy. Kanopy is a free movie-streaming service available through certain schools with tons of Oscar winners and indie films. Over the week, I have watched three movies that have been fabulous!

Moonlight

Moonlight is the 2016 Oscar winner for best picture and rightfully so. It is a deeply complex film about the war on drugs and what it means to be black and gay when it wasn’t acceptable. As Barry Jenkins successfully blends both of these ideas together in perfect harmony, make sure to have plenty of tissues nearby.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

The Killing of a Sacred Deer is an indie thriller with a slow start. If you have a short attention span you might not make it through. Personally, however, these types of movies are my favorite as they are all psychological, with an often unpredictable plot. Nicole Kidman gives a fabulous performance not seen since Eyes Wide Shut.

Room

Room is a drama about a woman and her son being held hostage and their struggles through it all based on the novel by Emma Donoghue. Brie Larson gives a career-defining performance leading to a tear-filled hour and fifty minutes. Again, make sure to have some tissues for this one.

Well, I hope you enjoy these recommendations. Head over to Kanopy and find some new movies to watch for yourself over the long break coming up. Enjoy!

Hi, welcome to my page everybody my name is Josh and I am currently a Freshman at UIC. If you're here get ready for a good time Peace and love, Josh
UIC Contributor.