This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is Joshua Beard, a Communication major and UIC Flames soccer superstar. A center midfielder, Josh has been a starter all four years.

When did you start playing soccer and how did you get involved?

I started playing soccer when I was just three years old. Soccer was sort of the family sport. My three older brothers and my sister all played. I would always kick the ball around with them when I was a toddler. When I could finally run, my parents signed me up to play. I played in Rockford until we moved to Schaumburg, where I played at Schaumburg High School for four years. I also played for the Chicago Sockers for nine years and then here at UIC for four years.

Do you see soccer playing a role in your future?

I see soccer playing a very large role in my future. My initial plan is to attempt to play professional soccer after college. I have worked so hard in my life to get this far, so I feel I owe it to myself to at least try to play at the next level. If playing soccer doesn’t work out, I would love to coach soccer. Some of my coaches have been great life mentors for me, so being able to give back to the soccer community would be a great honor for me as a player.

Who do you look to for inspiration?

I see my family as inspiration. My mother, being a breast cancer survivor, is a big inspiration to me. The idea of playing professional soccer is also a huge motivation for me. I would love to be able to play the game I love for a career. 

What do you love most about soccer?

Soccer is my life, so to ask me what I love the most is a difficult question. I love how your life could be spiraling out of control and everything is a mess, but then when you step between those white lines, everything changes. Suddenly all your problems fade; the only thing you can think about is the opponent you have to play that day. You just lose your mind in the game. For those 90 to 120 minutes, all that matters is the game and nothing else – that is what I love most.

Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.