Joel Riofrio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Meet Joel Riofrio, a UIC sophomore who aside from being a full time communications student raps on his spare time. He recently released his first music video, “Legendary”. Check out the video below. Who knows? Joel just might be the next rap superstar. Everything is possible.

What is your major and what year are you?

I am a communications major and currently a sophomore.

What sparked your interest in rapping? How did it all start?

I always loved to rap/sing along to lyrics of songs. One day I decided to rap to a beat my friend made and noticed I was pretty good at it. I loved writing my own lyrics and decided to attempt to work on a mix tape with a couple if my friends. We became a group and called ourselves “Da Bizness (DB).” Then I formed another group with a couple of other friends, who already rapped, we call ourselves, “Super Lyrikill Mob (SLM).”

Do you have your own group?

Yes, the ones I listed above, DB and SLM.

How do you get your inspiration to rap (and write songs)?

I just love music. I hear a beat and start to write to it. Also, it depends on what mood  I may be in. Stories, life experiences, and issues I have interest in spark my thoughts when writing lyrics. I get pleasure out of coming up with critical lyrics which sound clever and distinct. But I also write about love, heart breaks, partying, drinking, and my city.

What are your plans for the future? Do you see yourself rapping?

I plan on releasing some singles and a mix tape soon. I can definitely see myself rapping and performing on stage.

Who is your favorite rapper and why?

I think drake is an amazing artist and I can relate a lot to his music. His style is very diverse and I feel like we have that similarity. So I would have to say drake is my favorite rapper.

What advice would you give to people that are trying to get into rapping/ the music industry?

To create your own style. Be who you are and let your music express your thoughts and personality. If you really love it don’t stop until you reach your goal. It may not be your time today, but tomorrow might be your time to shine.

Who do you look up/who is your role model and why?

My mother. She is the strongest person I know. When she wants something she gets it and she will not give up on what she loves. She overcame some very difficult obstacles and always remained strong for her children. She made things happen and I will forever be grateful for every single thing she has done.

What else are you involved in on campus?

I basically work every day so I don’t have much free time, but I am part of UIC’s Fuego dance team. Shout out to the Fuego family. We have lots of events that take place in and out of campus. Even though I’m not able to attend all of these events, I always show support.

When you aren’t rapping what else do you like doing? Other hobbies/interests?

I work! “Gotta pay the bills.” I also work out, spend time with friends, and eat. Love food.

What quote or saying do you live by?

Everything happens for a reason. Enjoy life, and look at the best of every situation. Be strong!

And finally, what are the three top played songs on your iPod?

Drake- Congratulations

T.i- Go get it

The shady 2.0-BET cypher

In the making of his first Music Video- Legendary

Joel’s Dance Team- FUEGO

Joel’s music video “Legendary”:

Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.