Is it Spring Yet?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Pretty Lights have a way of adding a serious funk to their music, and “Gold Coast Hustle” certainly has been no exception.  One moment you are walking incredibly smooth down the street, donning – and rocking nevertheless – your black leather Frye’s kicks, to the first subtle strums of bass.  However, only moments later, you realize your legs have evolved into noodles, and your shins almost give out.  The sporadic and repetitive chiming of a muffled submarine sound will have you walking in synch and improved control, so as to veer away from the sudden intrusion of calm and collected dubstep calamity.

Segue into the Middle-Eastern groove that is Beats Antique’s “Egyptic” next, and oblige to the loss of control in your legs – and now arms.  Grab some coins and sew them to your waist, and wander to another continent for a moment.  Retreat far, far away from school and from the stress that robs you of sleep much earlier than you set your alarm for last night.  

When you deem it appropriate, launch back home, and without getting too distracted, let “Weekend” by Smith Westerns remind you that school need not be so serious.  Remember that a simple run-in – or three – with the guy down the hall always has you in youthful stitches and reminding you that you are living this stressful moment together. 

With the funny guys upstairs, revel in your study breaks alongside the accompaniment of “Pretender” by Black Marble.  Or let the awkward synth piano teleport you into a world filled with side ponytails and neon-bright jersey dresses, overlapped with fur-lined long sleeve pullovers.  Drift into what isn’t now for just a few moments, and look forward to the 6 P.M. sun that coexists with the intimidating end of the semester.