How To Start Your Day Off Right!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Do you ever have those lazy mornings? We’ve all been there. You just want to stay in bed all day and do absolutely nothing. Unfortunately, your priorities outweigh your desire to be lazy. So, what now? There are a number of things you can do to get you pumped up for the day ahead of you. Here are a few ideas to help you through your morning; some you could do before walking out the door!

We’ve all been told that exercising first thing in the morning is a great way to stay in shape. It’s also a great time to check it off your list of things to do, especially with a busy day ahead of you. Does it hold true? Of course, it does! Exercising before a long day ensures that you get a nice workout in and then don’t have to worry about making time for it later in the day when you’re already worn out.

Another fun thing you could do is listen to music, literally. Although favorite songs are always subject to change, we always have that one particular song that gets us up and moving. Testing out the song of choice to see your reaction is a good idea. Even if you don’t get out of bed, at least you can cross this off the list.

Many people try a caffeinated beverage, while it works for some, others just get a ridiculous headache and are bouncing off the walls….and then you get hungry. Maybe coffee is not for everyone. Any type of juice is a great pick me up as well, the sugar helps wake your body up too.

Showering in the mornings may not be the best option if you are up early. A warm shower is too closely related to warm bedsheets. To wake up, you could try alternating the water temperature: 30 seconds under hot water, 30 seconds under cold water, and another 30 seconds under hot water. This is equivalent to drinking a cup of coffee in the morning, and wakes you up just as well!

Besides these helpful tips, you can do a lot by preparing the night before. You can plan your lunch and snacks the night before by packing everything up and making sure that’s ready. You can also decide what you will wear and set it aside, so it’s ready the next day as well. Packing all your basics necessities in your bag, making sure you have everything you need for the day is also a top priority if you want to be ready for anything thrown at you. This way, you have the option of sleeping in a little longer before heading out the door. No matter what you decide to do, you know your body’s response. These suggestions may work for you, or they may not, it’s really a trial and error pursuit. Maybe you are an individual that needs to do multiple things to get yourself up and moving before your day begins. As long as you are able to make it out the door on time, you can do whatever you feel suits you perfectly. 

(Photos courtesy of pexels.com)

My name is Maggie, and I am currently a junior at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC). My major is English, with a concentration in professional and technical writing. Currently, I am interning at Classic Chicago Magazine, an online magazine located in the city of Chicago, and I am one of their social media correspondents. Being a member of HerCampus UIC is wonderful opportunity and exactly what I need to learn how to achieve my goals while enhancing my writing and technology skills.
UIC Contributor.