How To Bounce Back From A Bad Exam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Whether you’re starting college or it’s your third year in, you will most likely get an exam grade that you’re unhappy about. Unfortunately, we have all been there. Although it is devastating to do poorly on an exam, there are some things you can do that will help you through it.  

Don’t Freak Out

Easier said than done, but it’s really important. Instead of seeing the negatives, look for positives. You can’t change the past, so dwelling on it will do you no good. Instead, let this be your motivation to do amazing on the next test and put that extra work into it.  But, initially after, take some “me time” to relax.  It is okay, we are all human and make mistakes.  

Change Your Study Habits

We all learn in different ways. Maybe you did not study the most efficient way for your learning style. Some people are visual learners and learn best with pictures, other use mnemonic devices.; try to find what ways work for you. Test out different methods and see what sticks the most.  

Seek Help

If you feel really lost or like you need someone’s help, try tutoring. Try your best to fit in a time to see your professor, teaching assistant, or a tutor to help you understand what is not making sense to you. This is their job and they will be more than happy to help you do well in their course.   ​

Prepare Well in Advance

Start studying for your exam about a week in advance. Gradually, add more content each day and review on the last few days. Studying over a longer time period will help you remember more closer to the test date. Cramming for an exam can be less effective, you may know some of the points the day of the exam, but it is possible you will forget most of the material the following day. This might seem like common sense, yet many of us still seem to cram. Make a direct effort to dedicate yourself to doing well.

Now, go get that A you deserve!

Joy is an undergraduate student at University of Illinois at Chicago pursuing Nursing, with an end goal of becoming a CRNA. She loves spicy chips, R&B, and the summer time. She likes being artistic and expressing her creativity through painting, drawing, and makeup during her free time. You can find her doing homework listening to some Frank Ocean on most days.
UIC Contributor.