“How To Be Single” Review

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

In How to be Single by Christian Ditter, we meet four girls who each have a different perspective of love. We meet Alice (Dakota Johnson), who just got herself into a break with her boyfriend to find herself after always being with someone. We also meet her sister, Meg (Leslie Mann) who is a well accomplished doctor who only has time to focus on her career. As Alice starts a new job, she meets Robin (Rebel Wilson), a free spirited individual living her life to the fullest with no responsibility whatsoever. Along the way we meet an online dating crazed Lucy (Alison Brie) who spends most of her time trying to find her perfect guy online. Living in New York City, we see how these girls find their way around town trying to find themselves in others and in themselves.

This was overall a hilarious movie with many lessons young women will learn through life. We can always count on Rebel to make us laugh. She served as a great comedic relief throughout the movie when some scenes got intense. The sisterly chemistry from Dakota and Leslie was definitely real as we saw how much they cared and looked after each other. Alison did not get to actively interact with the other stars of the movie, but she did a great job portraying a woman searching for her true love in all the wrong places. Dakota did an amazing job as Alice. You can really tell when she finally understood what she had to do to be truly happy.

This movie is perfect for not just the single, but people who are trying to figure out who they are outside of relationships and within them as well. Every girl will find someone to relate to, whether it be Alice, who has always found herself in relationships; Meg, who learns to take a step back from her career and settle down with someone; Robin, who likes going out and enjoying life without any desire to change her ways; and Lucy, who is set on finding her perfect match. This will not be a cliche film where everyone ends up settling with a man to be happy. We get a variety of endings, perfect for the characters. Check it out if you want a break from the overly romantic movies coming out this Valentine’s Day weekend!

How to be Single comes out Friday, February 12th!

Hi, I'm Daniela. I'm a Sociology major with a minor in Criminology and Business Administration. I have been involved with Her Campus since my freshmen year, working in editorial, marketing, and social media. As president of Her Campus UIC, I am excited to see our chapter grow throughout my last year here.
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.