This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

College is full of new and different kinds of people. In the beginning, you want to be friends with everyone! Unfortunately, everyone isn’t the best match for your lifestyle. It’s up to you to pick and choose who is right for you and who is not.

One thing I would always advise is to make friends in your classes.

Why?

Because for the next semester, those people will be the ones that you could study with for exams and ask for homework help. If by chance you get along, who knows, maybe that could be your next best friend!

Try to make friends within interest groups. Go to extracurricular clubs that you are interested in and make friends there. They share a similar interest, and maybe you could learn a thing or two from them.

When someone is bringing you down or taking you off track, that may be someone who you should stop hanging out with. If you need to cut them off in order to be a better version of yourself, do it, but you do not necessarily have to. Just try to spend less time with them in order to get your work done.

Stay away and don’t hang out with people who are not going to support you. Those people will only bring you down when you have done something good. Try to hang around people who will love you and support you!

Follow your gut! If you don’t think you should be hanging around them, then do not!

Besides finding good friends, make sure you are a good friend yourself!

My name is Evelyn I love to be adventurous and try new things. I am a pre-nutrition major at the University of Illinois-Chicago. I love food, friends, and tacos.