Facial Rollers Feature Hero
Facial Rollers Feature Hero
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Face sculpting is one of the big new beauty trends of the year. You’ve probably seen beauty content creators talking about all the benefits of face sculpting, such as improving blood circulation, decreasing puffiness, and cooling and soothing your skin. 

While face sculpting tools like jade rollers and gua sha (gwah-shah) have gained popularity in the past few years, they predate modern medicine and originate from China. Gua sha tools resemble a half-moon and are used to gently increase circulation and lymphatic flow in the face. 

Photo by Anna Tarazevich from Pexels

To use a gua sha or rolling tool, first apply a serum or cream so the tools can glide smoothly on your skin and not damage it. Although there isn’t clinical research on the efficiency of these tools, many people have shared their experiences and shown their results. People who have used gua sha tools and jade rollers have reported incredible results, such as a more defined jawline. 

Fani Mari from the HuffPost recommends a gua sha be used in the following way: 

1. Press the tool gently all over your neck, face and décolletage.

2. Gently press and hold the tool under each eye, then over each eye, with the lids shut.

3. Starting at the neck, press-stroke up to your forehead.

4. Angling the tool at 45 degrees in the direction that you want to work, use the rounded edge to press-stroke the forehead, cheekbones, then the lips ― about eight sweeps in each direction. Use the double-curved end on your throat and jawline.

Several content creators have amazing videos teaching you how to use facial tools. LANSHIN, Glow Recipe, and Gothamista are creators who have great YouTube videos explaining the history of gua sha tools and techniques for how to use them, so check their videos out!

If you’re considering purchasing a facial tool, it’s important to buy one from an Asian-owned brand to support the original creators and not partake in cultural appropriation. Some Asian-owned brands with spectacular products are Mount Lai, Free Flow Botanicals, Lanshin, Luminae Wellness, and Yina.

Amy Hernandez is a senior at UIC pursuing a degree in English with a concentration in professional writing and a minor in Communication 
UIC Contributor.