freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

The Do’s and Don’ts of Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

As Valentine’s Day approaches, stores become filled with $3.99 heart-shaped boxes of cheap chocolate, roses that are nearly perished away, and cards written with love from a manufacturer. But, that’s all my point of view.

In the simplest of terms, DON’T waste your money buying me items that stereotype love, but spend your money or your time putting together a gift (or experience) that depicts your idea of my place in your life. I’m all about making memories. Not making discount stores richer.

While you take my wise, harsh, words of advice, the advice of others may help you lead towards putting together the perfect gift for your loved one, family member, friend, pet, or your damn-self.

“Dating someone for years, don’t put your entire trust into them over and over again when they have proved to you 100 times why you shouldn’t. It isn’t about the length of time you’ve been with someone, it’s about the quality. For a DON’T, I recommend you don’t ditch your girlfriend on Valentine’s Day to go hang out with your ex and your friends, at a bar your girlfriend frequently goes to. He told me was stuck at work, so I decided to go out with my friends. I walked in, saw him, and immediately ran to the bathroom because I thought I was going to be sick. Happy Valentine’s Day, lovebirds!”

“I’m not into extravagant gifts either. But I could say, DON’T settle for your Valentine’s Day meal being at White Castle, regardless how much they advertise their Valentine’s Day deals. Your stomach will be on 100. Valentine’s Day ruined.”

“Sure, every girl wants to “wow” her boyfriend with some sexy outfit. Well, I decided to pick up a thong made out of candy from Spencer’s. And let me tell you, it was far from the Fifty Shades experience.”

“My biggest piece of advice is don’t be bitter if you don’t have a “Valentine.” It’s one day, you should have self-love, love with a partner, love with whoever, 365 days a year.”

Whatever way you may be celebrating simply remember, the best piece of advice I can give to you is to make meaning in any way possible. At the end, it’s always about the memories we have. 

As a current senior at The University of Illinois at Chicago, I am aspiring to be a secondary English Education teacher with an emphasis in professional writing. I have been an editorial writer for HerCampus since my junior year. This opportunity has allowed me to voice my own opinion as well as appeal to the hidden emotion most collegiate females are going through. I hope you find my articles interesting and helpful! I am always open to suggestions. Follow and tweet me @brittanymmonaco !
UIC Contributor.