Do You Know the Facts About HPV?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

In 2007 the Governor of Texas decided that all young girls in his state who were in the sixth grade were to be vaccinated against the Human Papillomavirus. The Governor’s idea was met by heavy opposition.

The Human Papillomavirus, also known as HPV, has been found to be the most common sexually transmitted infection; but you don’t necessarily have to have sex to have HPV. The virus can cause several types of cancer such as cervical cancer, throat cancer, or genital cancer. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) state that at least 50 percent of all sexually active men and women will get it at some point in their lives and at least 20 million already have it. Most HPV infections are not harmful and doctors say they go away between eight and thirteen moths; these are called low-risk. Other types of HPV infections which cause changes in your cells which lead to the aforementioned cancers are called high risk. HPV can be spread through skin to skin contact, as well as intercourse.

To prevent getting or spreading HPV you should consider the HPV vaccine, also known as Gardasil. According to Planned Parenthood, the HPV vaccine helps protect women against the types of HPV that can cause cancer. A study published by the New England Journal of Medicine showed that at least 60% of female college students had HPV within their three years in college. Speak to your physician for further information.