This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Halloween drinking game: take a shot for each girl dressed up as a cat you see.

This Halloween, I decided to withdrawn from “basic” limitations. Part of the 2017 craze was the remake of Stephen King’s “IT.” I decided to channel my inner creative side and piece together duet costumes for two of the main characters: the killer clown, Pennywise, and one of his victims, Georgie.

Searching Halloween stores, costumes ranged in the upper $50’s plus. My friend, Katie, and I decided to try a DIY.

For her Georgie costume, she ordered a cheap raincoat off of eBay, brought fishnet tights from Target, and re-wore a pair of jean shorts, a plain black tank-top, and rain boats.

For my Pennywise costume, I went thrifting and found a white button-up shirt and white tutu, white face paint and red hair dye from CVS, and re-wore a black tank top, black leather skirt, red fish-net tights, and black knee-high boots.

I cut the center layer of the tutu out to use as the clown’s ruffled collar. Reusing leftover “fake blood” from last Halloween season, I randomly sprayed “blood” spots throughout the white button-up shirt and ruffled collar.

Pennywise Effect:

After applying various coats of white paint for my foundation, I used a deep red blush and jet black eyeshadow to create a smokey eye effect. For Pennywise’s smile, I used the same red blush and black eyeshadow to connect lines beginning from mid-forehead, flowing down to the mouth. I curled my hair with a wand and teased it with a small comb. To dye my hair red, I used the red spray can from CVS. I went outside (because the dye is very messy) and sprayed my entire head, which used only about half a bottle.

We accompanied the last final touches of the costume with Georgie’s legendary boat, hand-made, and Pennywise’s red balloon, brought from Party City.

Inexpensive and easy to put together, this costume had many people stopping and asking us for pictures!

You’ll float too!

As a current senior at The University of Illinois at Chicago, I am aspiring to be a secondary English Education teacher with an emphasis in professional writing. I have been an editorial writer for HerCampus since my junior year. This opportunity has allowed me to voice my own opinion as well as appeal to the hidden emotion most collegiate females are going through. I hope you find my articles interesting and helpful! I am always open to suggestions. Follow and tweet me @brittanymmonaco !
UIC Contributor.