This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Dear me…

It would be the year 2024, by now you would be graduating law school and beginning your career as a lawyer. It has been quite the journey to get there, but I’m sure it’s all been worth it. Finally done with school and time to get into the real world. You were able to pass through the painful, hard and exhausting three years of learning the law in depth. You will now serve your state and ensure justice. It will get tough at times, especially being a criminal prosecutor. Some cases will hurt and affect you; maybe they all will. But, remember why you’re doing it. There’s a purpose for you and you’re finally doing it.

You’ll be a lawyer for some time and then you can finally move on into the FBI. Another tough process but it’s what you have been wanting since you were a little girl. Don’t give up. This is only the beginning. 

You will have your friends, partner, and family, supporting you through it all. Continue eating fries every day, like you have done since you went to Lane Tech High School. Learn how to play the electric guitar, learn German, adopt a billion puppies, it’s what makes you happy. Being a lawyer will be hard. There will be long days, long hours, distraught stories. But your role is to help victims, to ensure justice, to provide a fair trial. You’ll be amazing and I know you’ll help a lot of people, that’s all you’ve ever wanted to do.

Hi everyone! My name is Ruby Valle and I am majoring in Criminology and minoring in Political Science and Public Policy at UIC. I plan on becoming a Criminal Prosecutor and will attend law school after I graduate from UIC! Fun fact: I eat fries everyday!
UIC Contributor.