This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is Daera Jones, an ambitious, talented freshman majoring in Business Marketing. Daera has her own nail salon business called Urban Perfections currently located on UIC’s East Campus, but is looking to expand in the near future.

What sparked your interest in the nail salon business?

What sparked my interest was the fact that I love to do art and I wanted to give others the chance to showcase their art on nails by owning a nail salon.

How did you come up with the name, Urban Perfections?

I came up with the name U.P. by thinking about art itself specifically. I am a fan of urban art, art that expresses the inner most issues within the city. How could I turn that art into perfection from a female perspective? And that’s how I came up with the name.

What types of nail art do you do?

I do many types of nail art of all designs, there isn’t any nail art I can’t do. If you ask you will receive.

What are some of your short/long term goals for Urban Perfection?

Some of my goals are to buy more nail polish of course, but also to look for other nail artists out there who share the same interest as me. I also want to start creating a business plan so I can actually have a location for my shop.

Besides doing nails, what do you like to do in your free time?

I love to write and perform poetry in my free time. I also like to write my own music because I’m a musician as well. I play the trumpet and piano.

Are you involved in any organizations on campus?

I am the president of Commons West hall council here at UIC and this summer I will be a student orientation leader.

Describe yourself in three words:

Leader, creative, & motivated.

If you could give one piece of advice, what would it be?

Some advice I would give is that if you have an idea and are talented don’t hide, just show it.

Like Urban Perfections on Facebook and check out Daera’s official website for more info!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Urban-Perfections/290434147720404

http://daeraj.wix.com/urbanpefection

Nicole is a proud city girl born and raised in beautiful Chicago. She is currently a student at the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Business Marketing major and a part of the Women's Line Up Team at Nike Chicago. She loves everything to do with fitness & health, music, urban life, and sports! In her spare time she loves to run, ride her fixie along the lakefront, do yoga, and volunteer! She is a die hard Chicago Bulls fan with a huge sweet tooth. Nicole's dream is to have a career in marketing with a focus in brand management or advertisement and sales promotion.
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.