Concert Review: Lady GaGa’s “The Monster Ball” Tour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

This past Monday I attended Lady GaGa’s Monster Ball at the United Center. I, of course, came prepared for the ball in full GaGa inspired clothing. I was ready to roll.

Let me start off this review by stating this was the third time I have been to the Monster Ball – I was able to attend last year in February and at her Lollapalooza stint. I love the Monster Ball experience, as you can tell.

This is one of the few concert experiences where you can actually have an amazing time before the show begins. Many of GaGa’s fans dress up for the pop princess and mingle with each other before the show. Pictures are taken everywhere and happiness is widespread. There were also several photo shoot setups throughout the venue. One even had a professional photographer direct your shoot. You can then retrieve your photo off of a website and use it as you please. Of course, it was my profile picture on Facebook as soon as I got my photo.

The Scissors Sisters started off the show by performing a set of their disco inspired songs. I have heard of the band before and was curious to see how they were. I have to say, though, I was a little disappointed by their songs. I love dance-inspired music but their music just didn’t go well with me. However, their energy performing was just amazing! They knew how to get the crowd going right before GaGa herself came out. Overall, they were a decent opening act.

The moment the little Chicago monsters were waiting for was quickly approaching. The crowd was wild and anxiously awaiting in their seats for the superstar to begin her show. Everyone was beyond ready for the Monster Ball to begin.

Lady GaGa began the show with her Grammy-nominated song “Dance in the Dark.” Standing behind a transparent screen, GaGa’s silhouette and singing got the crowd going wild. “Dance” is one of my favorite tracks by the Lady and is a great song to start off the show.

After the opening song, GaGa surprised me by singing her unreleased-song “Glitter and Grease.” Personally, I am not a fan of the song and thought it was a bad choice to sing it immediately after “Dance.” I noticed how confused the crowd was. Many were looking at each other and wondering, “what the heck is this?” She rocked the performance, though.

GaGa went through her set list very fast compared to her other shows I have been too. Her energy was just right, however. One thing I must commend the Lady of Pop is for her strong knowledge of how to work her crowd. She acts like a true rock star and destroys her performances. She also really knows how to connect and interact with the audience. Her live vocals are spot on and genuinely enjoys doing what she does best – performing.           

The show’s highlights for me were her performances of “Monster” and her new hit-single “Born This Way.” I was a tad disappointed that she did not sing her “The Fame Monster” songs “Speechless” or “So Happy I Could Die.” Nevertheless, GaGa rocked the United Center.

I was happy I was able to attend Lady GaGa’s ball for the 3rd time. It truly is a unique experience that really allows people to feel free to be themselves and to just dance. No pun intended

The Lady announced she would probably be back later this year with a whole new tour in support of her upcoming album “Born This Way.” I am already saving up and I recommend that you do too!