Culture > News

Childhood Restored! Toys R Us Might Be Back!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

This is not a drill! Toys R Us might be returning!

If you were as traumatized as I was, then you’ll remember that the company closed all of its stores in June 2018. As usual, those who grew up with Toys R Us took to the Internet and made memes about their pain. There were plenty of social media posts about how they were a Toys R Us kid and will never forget the store’s mascot, Geoffrey the giraffe. I may or may not have made some myself.

Fortunately, things might be looking up for the store, and ultimately, our childhood. The company is planning “new retail operating businesses.” This plan for the store to return was confirmed by the creditors planning to take control of the company. However, don’t get too excited yet since this plan needs court approval.

If everything goes according to plan, the Toys R Us stores will open in November. Already, some laid-off workers have been asked to return to work at the company. Hopefully the beloved stores will open again so more Toys R Us kids can enjoy it, even the ones who are all grown up.

Mia is a sophomore at UIC pursuing a double major in history and Spanish. She is also pursuing a double minor in museum studies and social justice.
UIC Contributor.