Album Review: Avril Lavigne’s “Goodbye Lullaby”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Spunky singer Avril Lavigne strives to go mellow with her fourth studio album “Goodbye Lullaby.” Released on March 8, the album is a documentation of Lavigne’s past couple of years of heartbreak following her divorce with husband Deryck Whibley.

Lavigne’s last album, “The Best Damn Thing”, is quite the opposite of her latest effort. While “Thing” was full of sass and upbeat, rock music, “Lullaby’s” concept tries to evoke feelings of lament and letting go. Lyrics are beautifully written and Lavigne’s voice shines. While the album is a great mix of pop and a throwback of vintage Avril, I have trouble believing if her feelings are genuine.

Lavigne begins the album with an inspirational introduction titled “Black Star.” The next song, her first single “What the Hell,” is the only upbeat pop song on the album. The carefree anthem has already been a moderate hit, reaching #11 on the Billboard Hot 100.

It is Lavigne’s songs with mega-producer Max Martin that standout on “Lullaby.” Lavigne experiences nostalgia when thinking about a previous relationship. With lyrics like “I can be tough, I can be strong, but with you, it’s not like that at all.There’s a girl that gives a shit,behind this wall you just walk through it,” Lavigne shows a beautiful vulnerability. Some of her sass is also detailed through the strong chorus lyrics “Damn! Damn! Damn! What I’d do to have you here, here, here.” It is undoubtedly the standout track from the album, as it seems very genuine and real.

Another Martin produced track “I Love You” is also standout track. It is the most obvious track directed towards ex-husband Whibley with lyrics like “Even though we didn’t make it through, I am always here for you.” The song details undying love for someone despite flaws and all. “Smile,” another Martin track, expresses similar appreciation and is more upbeat than other tracks.

Lavigne’s ex-husband also took part in producing the album. “Push” is about working together to make it through a relationship. “Everybody Hurts” and “Not Enough” are decent enough. The tracks “Darlin’” and “Remember When” do not impress, however.

Other tracks “4 Real,” “Alice,” “Goodbye” and “Stop Standing There” are some of the tracks Lavigne wrote entirely herself. They are all good efforts on her behalf.

Overall, the album is a great mix of guitar-driven, mellow songs. Lavigne’s voice shines in the tracks. However, a good amount of the album seems to be emotionally disconnected. The lyrics in all of the songs are very meaningful, but it is Lavigne’s connection with the songs that make some of them feel lifeless.

Lavigne is a ten-year veteran of the music industry. With more and more pop stars making it big, it seems like Lavigne needs to step up her game in her next effort. Fellow singer Ke$ha seems to have taken the role of the new rebel, bratty pop star. Lavigne certainly has the talent to break through the new barriers of the music industry, however.

“Goodbye Lullaby” could potentially be the transition of Lavigne into a more mature sound for her future. The album is sonically pleasing and some of the tracks are definitely download worthy.

Download This:
·      “Wish You Were Here”
·      “I Love You”
·      “Push”