Aesthetics, the Trick to Good Taste

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

For someone who loves art or anything artsy, I eat, live, and breathe aesthetics. When doing creative work such as drawing, photography, or even making jewelry, I think of what aesthetic I would like to create. Aesthetics are crucial to helping the viewer understand the more subjective mind of its creator. Literally, the first thing I notice about a person, book, movie, drawing, car, house, etc. is its aesthetic. Aesthetics are what embody the spirit, unique style, and taste of what it is representing. We are all unique and don’t fall under the same categories of things we like or dislike. So, where do we see aesthetics, and how are they a part of our daily lives? How is it that through aesthetics, we can create our own personal style of self-expression? Here are some examples of aesthetics and how to get a clearer idea of how to find your own style.

1. The vintage aesthetic.

This vintage aesthetic is for old souls. Melancholic and whimsical vibes with soft, unsaturated colors. Vintage aesthetics captures the stillness and vibrant moments of life. In fashion, the vintage aesthetic is used as a statement that speaks to a more classic vibe and to the idea that less is more. Simplicity is the key to mastering the vintage aesthetic.

2. The old meets the new aesthetic.

This one is a tricky one to put into words. This is what I would say brings back history into modern works of arts. My favorite books are those that talk about the past in relation to things that are happening right now. In fashion, we can see this as well. One popular example is the Mona Lisa who is universally known for her meek smile being used for coffee mugs or t-shirts. This aesthetic can be found not just in visual art but in books or films as well. 

Street Art by Julien de Casabianca

Hair By Ursula Goff

3. The minimalistic aesthetic.

The minimalistic aesthetic is the most organized and simple of all aesthetic. The style is very solid and strong because it puts everything into structure. The minimalistic aesthetic can be found in art, architecture, photography, painting, sculpture, and interior design. It is very satisfying to see the simplicity of a work of art because it brings a breath of fresh air. 

Art by Feridun Akgüngör

4. The grunge aesthetic.

The carefree, wild, but yet edgy style of a person that does not give a sh*t. A grunge still is something that is not made to look pretty or be composed. It’s not for anyone but for yourself. The grunge aesthetic is created by a torn, fade, and dark look. The grunge aesthetic is outspoken and with a rebellious touch to it. It speaks to the spaces that get unnoticed and quieter. The grunge aesthetic gives us the feels and makes us notices the smaller things that are not quite obvious. The grunge aesthetic doesn’t hit you in the face with an overwhelming vibe but rather makes a statement by not making a statement. 

Live in the Moment on Tumblr

5. The Bohemian/folk aesthetic.

This aesthetic is untamed, organic, magical, and dreamlike. When I think of Bohemian, the first things that come to my mind are forests, wild animals, free-spirited, harmony, and tradition. The aesthetic speaks of a time where people are moving from people to place and are trying to find a home. Home then becomes something that comes from within both literally and figuratively. Nature and harmony are what the Bohemian/folk aesthetic highly emphasize. 

The first step to creating your own personal aesthetic is understanding that you are a unique individual. There is literally no one else on this planet that is you. Though people can have the same name or look like you, you have a mind of your own. Get in touch with who you are, get comfortable with it, and immerse yourself in it. Every single thing you do is a stroke of genius because, in the given moment and time, you are contributing to the function of the universe. You don’t have to be like anyone or anything else in order to be something. If you find yourself to be unlike anyone or anything else, that is okay. The very best aesthetics are those that are weird. Work with what you like whether it is textures, colors, shapes, certain objects, sounds, or themes. Find a way to put your personality into the world.

I am a creative person who enjoys learning about the ways in which art can take different forms. My passions include learning about issues that effect our lives; things ranging from politics, media, culture, music, art, philosophy, technology, or education. I am a Chicago native and an undergraduate student at UIC majoring in English and minoring in Film.
UIC Contributor.