7 Essential Things To Do After A Break-Up As Told By “How I Met Your Mother”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Whether you guys were official or not, the afterwards of a break-up and the realization that you’re single again (yikes!) can be a scary and painful thing. However, with the help of How I Met Your Mother, here are 7 essential things to do after a break-up:

1. Cry, cry a lot

Even though we don’t like to admit it, crying is an essential thing to do after a break- up! Whether it’s wailing your heart out or just shedding an occasional tear, crying is an important way to release all that pent up sadness. 

2. Stop following them on social media

Don’t even think about scrolling down their Instagram or replaying their Snapchat stories, it’s quite unhealthy – even obsessive, and in no way allows you to properly move on. If you find yourself checking their profiles regularly or have thoughts about contacting them, it may be best to consider hitting that unfollow or delete button. 

3. Eat your favorite food

Who can say no to food?! Although it’s typically not advisable to binge eat every time you feel sad, eating your favorite dish can make you feel a whole lot better. 

4. Hang out with your friends

Whether it’s hanging out in a bar or browsing for new shows to binge-watch on Netflix at their place, you’re always guaranteed to have a good time.

… Plus, by the power of friendship, friends usually will comfort and make you laugh when you’re feeling down!

5. Pick up a new hobby

Robots vs. Wrestlers counts as a hobby… right?

6. Treat yourself to something nice

We all need to splurge on ourselves every once in a while, even if it’s on a diamond suit that we’ll only wear once.

7. Realize your worth because let’s face it, you’re… 

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.