6 Ways to Spice Up Your Relationship this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Valentine’s day is about celebrating love and appreciating people who we often take for granted. It’s a time to tell people how you really feel about them and be open to new things. For those in relationships, Valentine’s Day is an important time to remember why you love your significant other. For those in long term relationships, Valentine’s day is a good time to rejuvenate your relationship. So in the spirit of this special day, here is a list of six things for couples to do that will surely bring the spark back into any relationship.

1. Do something new together.

Long relationships can get monotonous. Couples tend to fall into a routine and Valentine’s day is the perfect opportunity to try something new. You and your significant other can try out a new restaurant or a new activity. Think outside the box, and be open to sharing new experiences! Not only will you be adding excitement to your relationship, but you will also be building onto your collection of memories together.

2. Show your partner some affection.

I’ve never been an advocate of PDA, however, I do believe that there are small forms of PDA that are acceptable and that are important in showing your boyfriend/girlfriend that you care about them. Little things like holding hands, small pecks on the cheek, or just generally being in close proximity all show affection. Often times in longer relationships we forget to show our partners little signs of affection, so be conscious of that this Valentine’s day and be sure to show your significant other some love.  

3. Write your significant other a letter.

In everyday life we often are too busy to sit down and write down what we’re really thinking and feeling. In a relationship it’s important to share these thoughts and feelings with your partner. Love letters especially are a great way to let him or her know you’re thinking about them. This simple gesture speaks volumes to your loved one and gives you an opportunity to express yourself in a unique way. Not only will this benefit your partner, but it will be a refreshing exercise of self expression for you as well.

4. Give your significant other a compliment.

When you are with someone for a long time it becomes easy to lose sight of what you love most about him or her. Being conscious of those things and saying them out loud will remind you. Your partner will appreciate receiving the compliments and likely reciprocate, reminding both of you that you’re loved and noticed.

5. Look your best

At the beginning of a relationship, when you have a crush on someone and everything is exciting and magical, I’m sure you put a little more effort into your appearance. As time goes on and you become more comfortable with your boyfriend or girlfriend, the drive to keep up appearances naturally subsides. This of course is wonderful in its own way– knowing you don’t have to dress to impress can be greatly relieving and time saving. Putting in the effort to look your best will bring back those memories and emotions associated with the beginning of your relationship.

6. Get excited!!

Finally, get excited to celebrate Valentine’s Day! Make plans with your significant other and go all out! This doesn’t necessarily mean spend a lot of money, but have fun with it. You can pick out your outfit and mark the date on your calendar. Do whatever gets you looking forward to it! Do your nails or your hair. Anticipation is a key in spicing up anything. Build anticipation for this and you’ll be feeling the same as you did when you and your partner started dating.

Clare is a sophomore at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She is majoring in Marketing and planning on minoring/double majoring in Finance. In her freetime, Clare loves drinking tea, hanging out with her friends and catching up on her favorite TV shows!
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.