This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

My cousin once told me, a long time ago, that she doesn’t read romance novels unless they have a certain pattern in them, sort of like a romance template. She said that the couple needed to meet, get together, have a huge fight, break up, and then makeup. I thought it was absurd when I first heard it, but after I really thought about it, every genre basically has a pattern. Along with these general patterns, we also have things and scenarios we like to see before we’re completely satisfied with a book, movie, show, etc.

As for me, personally, I don’t like books, movies, or shows based on a romantic plot. I like watching or reading plots that are focused on a crime or any thriller/action, and the romance bit is just a smaller storyline compared to the entire story arc. Sort of like adding syrup to ice cream. And, there are a couple of things I like to see for a relationship on the rare occasion I do read/watch a romance. In no particular order, here are five things that are needed, in my opinion, to complete a romantic plot to keep me satisfied (or to even keep me interested).

1. The couple needs a fight.

I love angst. That feeling when your heart aches and your feelings just hurt because you can’t stand the pain anymore? Yeah, I love it. It can range anything from a breakup, to someone storming away, or to someone ignoring someone for something they did. It can’t be something small. It has to be something that means something, enough to hurt one or both people in the relationship.

2. Someone needs to be put in a situation which makes the other person worried.

From getting into a car accident to getting kidnapped, something major needs to happen to someone out of the two. Oh, and if it comes right after the fight before they got to make up? Even better. The guilt of a person just makes my heart bleed for them a bit. It evens the playing field a lot quicker than just apologizing.

3. The jealousy needs to destroy me.

I don’t think major jealousy, to the point of insanity, is an attractive trait. But, a little jealousy that doesn’t overshadow the book too much, and shows the readers, and the character that their significant other cares? Sign me up!

4. A character needs to do something I wouldn’t do.

I hate second-hand embarrassment, but it makes the storyline more realistic. Usually, when reading or watching, I relate to a character too much. They do everything I would do. And even though some might find it relatable and relaxing, it appears boring in my eyes. Something a character does needs to make me stop, and pause in order to catch my breath. It needs to make me so embarrassed for the person that I would need to leave for a couple of hours and do other things before I come back to it.

5. Last but not least, the characters need to be just as important as the plot.

I think it’s very important to juggle the characters, so they appeal to the audience as well as keep their own individual personalities different from one another. It’s also very important for a plot to flow smoothly, not too rushed or too slow. Balancing the characters and plot without losing the sight of one another makes for an excellent story.

Hello! My name's Syeda Dayemi and I graduated UIC (majored in Biology). :)
UIC Contributor.