5 Quick Dos and Don’ts for Packing for a Trip Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

With the semester winding down and winter break approaching, traveling abroad is one of the biggest things collegiettes look forward to.  However, with finals and paper deadlines approaching, packing for said trip usually takes the backburner. To combat this, here are 5 quick dos and don’ts when packing for a trip. 

1. DO bring a carry on or overnight bag with you 

Packing a carry on or overnight bag is particularly useful since they allow immediate access to your stuff compared to your suitcase, which is inevitably stored away in the plane’s storage compartment. The rule of thumb when packing a carry on/overnight bag is generally 2-3 days’ worth of clothes, but feel free to pack other necessities you feel is important. Keep in mind that a carry on/overnight bag can also serve as a backup in case your luggage gets lost.

2. DON’T overpack  your suitcase

This seems like common knowledge but people do tend to overpack their suitcase with clothes and other items they most likely will never use on their trip. Pack selectively.  Don’t pack anything you wouldn’t want to lose or important items you need on hand in your suitcase since, as reiterated previously, there is a chance your luggage can get lost and you don’t have immediate access to them. There’s also a chance you’ll buy souvenirs or other items when on your trip abroad, so packing light can lessen the amount of stuff you’ll have to carry when you come back home. 

3. DO pack with the climate in mind

Knowing the climate, especially during the time period of your visit, affects the type of things you pack in your suitcase and makes you better prepared for what to expect upon arrival. 

4. DON’T pack too many toiletries

Unless your flight is comparatively long or the place you are traveling to doesn’t have any, it isn’t as important to pack a lot of toiletries. In most cases, especially in tourist hotspots, you’ll be able to purchase them abroad. On another note, flights have certain rules and regulations when it comes to packing them. Find out more information on the rules of toiletries here.

5. DO pack your valuables (money, ID, passport, etc.) with you at all times

Although you might be able to fit all the things you need for your trip abroad in your suitcase, valuables from your credit cards to flight tickets should be kept on you at all times. You never know when you’ll need it and keeping your valuables with you at all times prevents them from being lost or stolen. 

Happy packing collegiettes!

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.