5 Movies to Get You In the Mood For Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

As soon as Fall begins, the first thing that comes to my mind is Halloween. The changing of color, and the falling of the leaves set a different atmosphere. The cooler weather gets us in the mood for hot chocolate, donuts, coffee, warm sweater, and of course Halloween candy. Movies are a great way to get more insight into American culture, popular culture, trends, and for entertainment. This is one of the reasons why I love movies. It makes us feel more connected to our American culture (pop culture). Halloween movies are, personally, exciting to watch. The suspense and thrill are not necessarily for everyone but it’s a joyride for others. 

We are fortunate enough to have a great section of classic horror movie/Halloween movies. The great thing about horror movies or Halloween movies is that they never get old. I can still get goosebumps and chills at the exact same scene in a movie. Here are a few of my favorite Halloween movies:

1. Halloween, 1978.

The scene where Jamie Lee Curtis receives that phone call, while she is home alone, is truly horrifying. 

2. Scream, 1996.

Nothing like a good unsolved murder mystery. 

3. The Blair Witch Project, 1999.

This movies does an excellent job at creeping the sh*t out of me. This documentary-like movie is good enough to scare anyone from camping out in the wood.

4. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, 1974.

This is a classic, the chase scenes are haunting. They’re really intriguing movies based on true events as crazy as this one.

5. Jaws, 1975.

Duunnn dunnn … duuuunnnn duun… duuunnnnnnnn dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnn dunnnn. Who doesn’t like sharks?

Hope these movie picks make it to your Halloween movie night!

I am a creative person who enjoys learning about the ways in which art can take different forms. My passions include learning about issues that effect our lives; things ranging from politics, media, culture, music, art, philosophy, technology, or education. I am a Chicago native and an undergraduate student at UIC majoring in English and minoring in Film.
UIC Contributor.