10 Tips You Should Know For Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Hello ladies! Word on the street is that it’s recruitment weekend. Every sorority on campus is getting ready and they all want you to be their new sister. It’s the weekend to find your home away from home. There’s just a few tips you should know for recruitment, so things go well.

1. Learn the 5 B’s

The five Bs include: boobs, brands, booze, boys, bank accounts. These are topics you do not bring up during recruitment. Trust me, I didn’t know these until a sister of mine told me about them. Boobs means do not bring up how many guys you’ve hooked up with. Brands means if you have a Vera Bradley or Gucci bag, none of the sisters will care because they care about who you are and not where you got your purse. Booze basically means partying because if you’re only in it for the parties, then a sorority is not for you. Boys is along the same lines of booze and boobs, if you’re in it for the frat guys, then just hop on Tinder. Lastly, bank accounts do not matter. Money is an uncomfortable topic for anyone, so just keep it to yourself because sisters do not care about how much money you have just like they don’t care where you get your clothes from.

2. Don’t gossip

For Pete’s sake, do not gossip during recruitment. Do not talk crap about another sorority or anyone that is in your recruitment group. Eyes and ears are everywhere during recruitment. A sister could be in line with you to get Dunkin or even just walking past, so let’s just say it’s not a good thing if they hear you bad mouthing a sorority.

3. Eat and drink lots of water

It’s a long time during recruitment weekend, so make sure you eat a big meal. Make sure to drink lots of water because you will be talking to 20 or more girls in one day.

4. Dress comfortably

Be comfy in your outfits that you wear each day of recruitment. If you know you can’t walk in heels, then toss on a pair of flats or Toms. Don’t dress like someone else and wear clothes that are you.

5. Keep an open mind

Go into recruitment with an open mind! Give each sorority a chance when you meet them and don’t immediately write them off because you want to be in a certain sorority. Each sorority wants to know you and always have an open mind for you, so give them the same courtesy. 

6. Get lots of sleep

Get lots and lots of sleep! Recruitment weekend is long, so sleep will be your best friend. Go to bed early or take naps and if you can’t then invest in lots of coffee.

7. Treat others the way you would want to be treated

Do not be that girl who is rude to sisters. Sisters are taking the time to get to know you. They are just as tired and hungry as you are, but still put in tons of effort to listen and talk to you. Put your best face forward, which doesn’t mean be fake, but just be polite and nice.

8. Finish everything you need to get done beforehand

Get all of your homework and projects done before recruitment weekend. You don’t want that stress on you, so make time to get it done before recruitment.

9. Talk to EVERYONE

Don’t limit yourself to just talking to one sister. Try to talk to many sisters, so that they get to know you and you get to know them.

10. Be yourself

This has to be my most important tip. BE YOURSELF! Don’t be someone you’re not because you wont find girls you fit in with if you’re not being you. You don’t need to make yourself fit in with a sorority because there is a sorority for everyone. You’ll find girls that you click with immediately and feel comfortable with.

Recruitment weekend can be stressful and crazy, but in the end it’s all worth it. I hope you find your home this weekend, just like I found mine.

SaveSave

Hi I'm Aeja! Junior at UIC and a Pre Nursing Major. I try to write what inspires me, so I hope you enjoy my articles!
UIC Contributor.