Why You Should Be Watching “Good Girls Revolt”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Feminism, journalism, and plenty of juicy drama? Count us in! Based (loosely) on Lynn Povich’s book by the same name, Good Girls Revolt  follows the story a group of female researchers at a magazine who file an equal opportunity complaint for the right to be reporters. The magazine in the show, News of the Week, is the fictional counterpart to real-life magazine Newsweek. Although the case did actually happen in real life, the characters and plot of the show are generally fictionalized and dramatized. 

Set in 1969, Good Girls Revolt is full of hippie fashion, the word “groovy,” and occasionally marijuana. But the time period also marks the emergence of the feminist movement, so the stars of the show are dealing with how to be taken seriously at their jobs, how to be treated fairly by their husbands and boyfriends, and how to feel empowered (both in their careers and sexually). 

The show has a complex network of characters and storylines, but main story arc concerns the girls’ clandestine mission to revolt against News of the Week for the right to be reporters. What starts out with just a few women ends up being almost the entire office. The girls earn new supporters through secret conversations in the ladies room and lunch gatherings.

Along the way, friendships form and parts of the girls’ personal lives are revealed. Many of the female researchers are involved romantically with their reporters, which creates an interesting dynamic for the office. Plenty of closed doors and drawn blinds make for plenty of opportunity for on-the-clock hookups. This facet of the show is what makes it so riveting to watch, but it’s not just because of the drama. Through these encounters, the women are learning what they want from their relationships and out of life. They learn that they can make their own choices, regardless of what their husbands say.

The women in this show are dynamic and multifaceted. Each of the central characters has her own storyline and her own growth. As you watch, you’ll get hooked on these stories as the women do what it takes to find themselves and find their right to have voices as reporters. 

The good news: the first season of this show was amazing. The bad news? In December, Amazon decided to cancel the show and not produce another season. The show has been looking for another home for another season, but so far has been unsuccessful.

Looks like we’ll just have to read the book instead!

Kendall is pursuing a bachelors in journalism and a masters in emerging media in at the University of Georgia. After joining Her Campus UGA in the fall of 2015, she became one of the team's Campus Correspondents in fall 2016. During this time, HC UGA has flourished, moving from the Bronze level all the way to Pink, and it has been selected for national partnerships including the Her Campus Tour in 2018. Kendall hopes to someday work in the intersection of technology and journalism, and she adores books, travel, volunteering, and the color teal.