Why 2018 Will Be The Year Of The Female

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The Future is Female. 2017 has given us incredible moments that show how amazingly strong and empowered women are. Despite still fighting and overcoming hurdles, women have persisted. There is not a better time to be a feminist than right now. Moments like these are what feminists such as Simone de Beauvoir, Gloria Steinem, bell hooks, and many more have fought the patriarchy to see for us.  If 2017 can bring moments such as these, I can only imagine what 2018 will bring for the feminist movement.

The Women’s March

Jan. 21, 2017 marks the day that we saw the largest single-day protest in U.S. history.  The March was aimed at Donald Trump and took place the day after his inauguration (P.S. The March had a bigger audience than the inauguration) due to the statements he has made regarding women.  The March which was meant to start in Washington, D.C., soon had over 500+ sister marches that took place across the country involving over 3 million women.  The March had speakers such as Gloria Steinem, America Ferrera, Scarlett Johansson and many more. On top of that, many celebrities such as Ariana Grande, Gina Rodriguez, Demi Lovato, and many more participated in The March too. This March kicked off the year of women persisting no matter what.

#MeToo Movement

In October 2017, Jodi Kantor and Meghan Twojey broke the story that dozens of women have come out and accused Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein of sexual assault and harassment. Many of these women include A-list stars such as Lupita Nyong’o, Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow. From there a movement launched for many women who have suffered in silence to come out and say the words “#MeToo” together. #MeToo was coined by social activist Tarana Burke and made popular on social media by actress Alyssa Milano. Since October, many stories have come out about Matt Lauer (now former co-host of “Today”), Russel Simmons (co-founder of Def Jam Records), Kevin Spacey (House of Cards), and many more. Time Magazine has decided to honor the #MeToo movement by having them be honored as the “Person of the Year.” The group was called “the silence-breakers” which featured Ashley Judd and Taylor Swift (for suing the DJ that allegedly sexual harassed her a dollar).

Females are killing it in Hollywood

Move over Harvey Weinstein, the females are coming. There are more and more women taking over Hollywood. On the small screen, Issa Rae dominated with her show “Insecure” about what it is like to be a young black female in modern day America. On the big screen, this past summer came Wonder Women which was directed by Patty Jenkins, only the second women to direct a live-action film with a budget of $100 million or more. Ava DuVernay is making history as she will be the first women of color to direct a $100 million budget with “A Wrinkle in Time.” “A Wrinkle in Time” makes a new milestone for female filmmakers.

Saudi Arabia allows women to drive

Back in September, Saudi Arabia passed legislation that will allow women to drive. This will take place in June 2018. Saudi Arabia leaders hope that the new policy will help the economy by increasing women’s participation in the workplace. On top of this, Ford came out with a sweet ad to celebrate this milestone.

Women in Politics

In height of 45 being in office, women’s role in politics have become even more important. But never fear, there are amazing women in office right now. Senator Elizabeth Warren was silenced by Sen. Majority Leader Mitch McConnell when making her speech that opposed the nomination of Jeff Sessions for a federal judgeship. In the outcome came a new rally cry: “Nevertheless, she persisted.” California Senator Kamala Harris is currently the only Black women in the Senate. And Congresswoman Maxine Waters is reminding us to “reclaim our time.”

I don’t know about you, but I am excited to see what barriers get broken down in 2018 bring for women and feminists alike.  

Images from Chicagotribune.com, adweek.com, giphy.com

Hey y'all. My name is Jayda Hill and I am currently a student at the University of Georgia trying to navigate adulting. I am Advertising major with a minor in Sports Management and a certificate in New Media. Besides writing, I enjoy laughing with friends, eating at my favorite places, reading, watching college football, movies, Youtube videos, and shows on Hulu and Netflix. I can't wait to channel my inner Carrie Bradshaw with Her Campus UGA.