This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

In honor of March being Women’s History Month, we’re bringing you a few profiles of our favorite women throughout history. 

This week, we’re looking at Juliette Gordon Low! Back in 1860, way before Thin Mints were even a concept, the founder of Girl Scouts was born in Savannah, GA. Juliette was a curious, adventurous, and independent girl, and ended up founding an entire organization dedicated to building these traits in young girls.

In 1912, during the Progressive Era,  Juliette got inspired by the founder of Boy Scouts to start her own program. She was saying, “I’ve got something for the girls of Savannah, and all of America, and all the world, and we’re going to start it tonight!” 

Juliette pulled together girls from different backgrounds to establish the first Girl Scout troop as an outdoor and educational group. Over a hundred years later, Girl Scouts is an organization of over three million girls all over the world! Troops everywhere are helping girls develop courage, confidence, and character. Girl Scouts learn all sorts of leadership and practical skills through camping, badges, and community service projects.

Where would the world be without Juliette? Famous Girl Scout alumni include Taylor Swift, Hillary Clinton, Katie Couric, and Lucille Ball! Plus, we all know the world needs its fix of Thin Mints and Samoas. 

Kendall is pursuing a bachelors in journalism and a masters in emerging media in at the University of Georgia. After joining Her Campus UGA in the fall of 2015, she became one of the team's Campus Correspondents in fall 2016. During this time, HC UGA has flourished, moving from the Bronze level all the way to Pink, and it has been selected for national partnerships including the Her Campus Tour in 2018. Kendall hopes to someday work in the intersection of technology and journalism, and she adores books, travel, volunteering, and the color teal.