Ways to Relax During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

With finals right around the corner, students often feel overwhelmed as if there’s not enough time in the day to complete everything while saving time for themselves. But that’s not true! Studying nonstop and stressing yourself out is not the way to finishing off the school year, but it’s a definite way to bomb your final exams.
While students prepare to pull all-nighters, study all day at the Miller Learning Center, and overindulge in caffeinated beverages, there’s still a little time in the day to relax and multiple ways to have fun.

1. Cook or Grab a Snack
With long study hours and all-nighter cram sessions, many students forget to eat, or decide not to. Although you shouldn’t indulge in snack foods while studying, eating something is better than nothing at all. Try to stock up on fruits and vegetables to snack on during finals week. Not only are they healthier for you but they also provide you with more energy than sugary treats. Cooking can also be seen as a great stress reliever, as well as being a great way to try out a new recipe. Don’t forget to take some time out of your day, group study sessions, or whatever it may be to visit the dining hall or create a delicious meal with friends.

2. Visit Ramsey 
Working out is a great way to relax yourself during finals week, while getting in shape as well. You don’t have to spend all hours of the night at the gym, but a quick 30-minute power workout will definitely release some tension and help you stay fit. An alternative would be taking your studying notes and flashcards with you to the gym, so you can study while working out. Due to the increased blood flow, studying while working out is often encouraged since you’re more alert and retaining more information at the same time.

3. Study with Friends
For those of you that refuse to put those books down, why not study with your friends? Yes there will be times when you stop studying to gossip about the latest Twilight movie or ANTM, but schedule for that time. Because you know you’re going to get off task a couple of times, write out a study schedule and take a 10 or 15 minute break every hour to allow for those mini conversations and gossip sessions. Also, with friends you can make studying fun. Create games, bedazzle your flashcards – get creative! Nothing’s better than studying and actually enjoying it.

4. Create a Relaxing Playlist
We all get tired of Pandora Radio suggesting really bad songs every now and then, but to avoid this you could always create your own playlist. Nothing’s better than listening to your favorite music while studying. By creating a relaxing playlist, you can focus more on your studying and actually enjoy it.  So test out your creativity and set the mood for yourself.

5. Get a Massage
Massage therapy is often seen as the most stress-relieving technique out there. Fortunately, the University Health Center offers massages year-round. The University Health Center has it all, with services ranging from their signature massage to the deep tissue massage and myofascial release. With just an appointment and a small fee, you’re just one step away from guaranteed relaxation and a sense of well being.

Finals can make you or break you, but being stressed out won’t help you at all. Remind yourself that it’s okay to continue your daily workout, enjoy snack foods, hang with friends while you study, and take a nap here or there. Just understand that there’s a major difference between taking a break and taking it too far. By allowing yourself breaks and having a little fun, you’ll definitely feel fresh, energized, and a little calmer right before exam time.

Good Luck Bulldogs! 

Sophia Fredericksen is a junior at University of Georgia studying magazine journalism. She has written for a wide variety of publications including Her Campus Ohio University, College Fashion, Thread Magazine, and JAYE magazine. Now she is the Editor of Her Campus UGA. In her free time she enjoys reading fashion magazines, playing dress up, taking pictures and trying new food. She hopes to one day write for a fashion magazine in either New York or LA.