Valentine’s Day Ideas for Every Relationship Status

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

It’s finally February, and cupid has his bow aimed in preparation for everyone’s favorite holiday! Okay, maybe not everyone’s favorite. But for those in a relationship, Valentine’s Day is the one-day where not only is affection encouraged, it’s downright expected. While you might be looking forward to Valentine’s Day, deciding how you’re going to celebrate can be stressful. Let’s face it, girls are easier to shop for, options almost unending, Guys, on the other hand, need a little more thought and planning (it’s not exactly like a little blue box from Tiffany’s is going to make their  day). That’s where we come in. Whether you’re in a long-distance relationship, long-term relationship, or just started dating a new special someone, creating a memorable Valentine’s Day can be difficult. Based on your Facebook relationship status, we’ve put together a few ideas to get you started.

Long-Distance
Long-distance relationships can be hard enough
without the pressure of Valentine’s Day. The easiest and most obvious idea is to send your Valentine a card. Spritz it up a bit by spraying a dash of your perfume on it, giving it that added touch. You could also pull a Notebook maneuver and write them a love letter with all of the things you love about your special someone and all the good memories you have of them. If you’re the artistic type, you could even turn your letter into a poem, song, or picture that depicts you and your long-distance lover. Other ideas include a personalized gift that reflects your mutual interests. For example, collages, CD’s, photo album, picture frame. Put some real effort into a video chat date! You may not be able to physically be with your significant other, but seeing them through your computer is probably the next best thing. Take it up a notch by planning a meal and cyber-dining by candlelight!

Long-Term
At this point, you may have already have had a few Valentine’s Days together and are out of fresh ideas to impress your significant other. If you have the luxury of waking up next to this person, have breakfast in bed. There’s no better way to say “I love you” than surprising your loved one with food in a place where they don’t even have change out of their PJs.
To keep your relationship lively, take a day trip to the Botanical Gardens or even Atlanta. Pretend to be those tourists you see daily, including paraphernalia and taking goofy pictures of the two of you. Not your style? Make “Lover’s Coupons” including massages, snuggling/cuddling, a night with a movie of your choice…the options are endless; whatever suits your relationship. Give your special someone a gift more personalized between the two of you. Get a mug, t-shirt, or other object (guitar pick or guitar strap, for example) embroidered or engraved with their name or an inside joke the two of you share.

Short-Term
Being in a relationship for a short period of time makes any holiday turn into a panic attack. What on earth do you get someone you’ve only known for a few weeks, maybe even just a few days?  This can be tricky. You don’t want to spend too much in case it doesn’t work out. On the other hand, you’d better have at least a token gift in hand.  Of course, you don’t want to go too overboard; we all know what that looks like!  To resolve this, there is always the classic teddy bear, candy, and dinner/movie date combination for your first Valentine’s Day. It’s simple, easy, and takes the pressure off of the both of you so you can have a more fun-filled Valentine’s Day. Maybe your Valentine has mentioned an inexpensive trinket or DVD that you could get them to make the classic Valentine’s Day date
more specific to your tastes. Want something other than the classic combination? A homemade treat is a tasty, inexpensive and heartfelt gift.  It can be as simple as break-and-bake cookies or a heart-shaped caked with fresh strawberries and whip cream on top, if you’re feeling more adventurous. It’s also a win/win because you get to indulge in the treat! You can even turn baking into a date. Who doesn’t love throwing flour around and making a mess with frosting? It’s cute and a great icebreaker if you and your new valentine are still getting to know one another.

Whatever your relationship status may be, keep in mind that Valentine’s Day is all about showing that special someone how much you care.

Sophia Fredericksen is a junior at University of Georgia studying magazine journalism. She has written for a wide variety of publications including Her Campus Ohio University, College Fashion, Thread Magazine, and JAYE magazine. Now she is the Editor of Her Campus UGA. In her free time she enjoys reading fashion magazines, playing dress up, taking pictures and trying new food. She hopes to one day write for a fashion magazine in either New York or LA.