Valentine’s Day on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Love is in the air. Cupid’s holiday is fast approaching, and thus it’s about that time to start thinking about what you’ll do for that special someone in your life this year.

For us collegiettes, however, resources may be limited. Maybe your bank account is still recovering from Christmas vacation, or maybe you’ve just been frequenting some of Athens’ finest restaurants a bit too often. But don’t fret, because there are plenty of ways to make your guy feel special and appreciated without breaking the bank, or even a Jackson.

So if insufficient funds are plaguing you this time of year, read on, because we’ve got some quick and affordable ways to help you put a smile on your guy’s face this Valentine’s Day. St. Valentine will certainly be proud.

Date ideas!

Dinner and a movie… for a fraction of the price

It’s the most classic kind of date night. It starts with a reservation at a fancy restaurant and ends with overpriced popcorn and drinks. You can never go wrong with dinner and a movie, but why not make it happen in the comfort of your own home? Pick up a frozen pizza (I prefer CPK… it’s delicious) and head to the nearest available Redbox for a super cheap alternative to the classic. (Here’s a hint… if you enter the coupon code “DVDONME” when you’re checking out your movie… it’ll be free! Just remember to return it the next day).

A kitchen challenge

I’ll be the first to admit that cooking isn’t really my thing, but for all you chefs out there, this one’s for you! Instead of emptying your wallet for a fancy meal, how about putting your skills as a couple to the test in the kitchen? Find a recipe online, grab the ingredients from your pantry or nearest grocery store, and you’re ready to go. Most guys actually love cooking (but don’t love to admit it), so this one will be a lot of fun. Maybe take a stab at an exquisite dessert after your meal (but if you do, please bring me some)!

Rock and roll all night

Athens is full of awesome music venues – the Georgia Theatre, 40 Watt, the Classic Center…you got me – and nearly all of their ticket prices pale in comparison to some of the bigger venues in Atlanta. Check out their schedules online so you can surprise your guy with some great tunes on the big day.

[pagebreak]

Gift Ideas for the Financially Challenged Colliegette:

Read all about it!

People often struggle to find a creative gift that their guy can make use of. How about a one year subscription to one of his favorite magazines, like ESPN, Sports Illustrated or Men’s Health? It’s pretty inexpensive, especially if you look for a deal online, AND you know he’ll get great use out of it. (Maybe he’ll find some new workout tips to help get that six-pack going for Spring Break… it’s truly a win-win for the both of you).

Ticket master

Maybe your guy isn’t into any of the bands doing a show on the 14th, but maybe he’s a big Sister Hazel fan and doesn’t realize they’re playing at the Georgia Theatre the very next day (true statement!). Regardless, a concert makes for a great date night, and he’ll be thrilled to have something fun to look forward to with you. This one may tempt you to splurge a little bit, but remember that you don’t have to spend a lot to see a great show!