Update on Hillary Clinton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Hillary Clinton takes a lot of heat for being Hillary Clinton. She’s been in the news even more this past week for two things: calling half of Trump’s supporters deplorable and for having pneumonia.

A quick recap for you guys, in a speech Hillary said, “Just to be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters in what I like to call the basket of deplorables. The racists, sexists, homophobic, xenophobic, islamaphoic, you name it.” For some reason, everyone had a hay day over that quote as if Hillary Clinton had said, “Everyone who doesn’t support me is a bigot.” It’s hardly a secret that Trump has accepted the support of the KKK, alienated almost every minority group, and done almost everything else a bigot like himself would do. Republicans had a fit because they took it as a personal attack when the quote doesn’t seem to be aimed at everyone with conservative views. I can hardly muster up the will to be mad at Hillary for making a grossly general statement when Trump has literally encouraged people to assassinate Hillary before.

Another big reason why Hillary was being talked about more than usual this week is because of her health. A quick recap for everyone: At a 9/11 remembrance ceremony, Clinton was forced to leave because she felt faint. It came out later that she had been battling pneumonia and took off a couple days from the campaign trail to rest. She was criticized for going against the American norm of working until you die. Republicans raised the question of if she was healthy enough to be the next president even though she was battling a sickness that thousands of people get a year and can be treated. Hillary’s doctor gave a statement that Hillary was perfectly healthy to be the next president and she is already back on the campaign trail.  No matter what, people will always debate the sanctity of Hillary Clinton’s campaign for president.

That’s what you missed of Hillary Clinton news.

Caitlyn is a fourth year student at the University of Georgia. She is pursuing a double degree in journalism and women's studies with a new media certificate and an interdisciplinary writing certificate. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UGA. Caitlyn spends her free time drinking tea, being a book worm, and imagining new fictional characters to write about.