Twilight: What it Means to Athens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

When girls across the country hear the word “twilight”, the first images that come to mind are probably of sparkling vampires and a werewolf’s chiseled six-pack. However, Athens is no ordinary place–for us, twilight takes on a totally different meaning.

Founded in 1980, the Athens Twilight Criterium was the first nighttime bike race in the United States in over 60 years. Basically, it’s a huge bike race/festival combo that draws everyone into the streets of Athens to watch riders pass through downtown.

This year, Twilight will be held on Friday, April 29 and Saturday, April 30. On Friday, Athens will host the Twilight Food Court and the Georgia Cycle Sport Twilight Grid Qualifiers, where spectators can watch the best cyclists in the country prepare for the race ahead. This year’s food court vendors include Chick-fil-a, Buffalo’s and Kelly’s Jamaican, among others. Stop by and enjoy some food while getting a taste of the bike race scene!

On Saturday morning, there will be a 5k run/walk and many events for the whole family, including the UGA HEROs Kids Zone. Fun for all ages, the Sports Zone has featured a climbing and and inflatables in the past. Proceeds from donations made in the Sports Zone will go to UGA HEROs, a student philanthropy working to improve the quality of life of children in Georgia affected by HIV/AIDS.

The real fun, however, takes place Saturday night, when the race begins. Students and locals alike can enjoy watching the racers zoom by while taking advantage of food and drink specials downtown. The oft-feared “open container” law is forgotten for this one special weekend so spectators can enjoy a drink while watching the race.

The once small Twilight Criterium has now evolved in to the Athens Twilight Foundation, put together to plan the race every year and plan fundraising events year-round.

Are you convinced that the race is the place to be next weekend yet? If not, one final argument: it’s free. So grab your friends, a good drink, and enjoy one of the best races in the country in the comfort of our own downtown area.