Top Kacey Musgraves Songs To Add To Your Library Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

By now, you’ve probably heard about all the hype surrounding Kacey Musgraves, and if you haven’t, odds are you’re living under a rock. With six Grammys to her name, one of which being the 2019 Album of the Year, you can’t help but be curious about this country queen. She’s always been transparent about expressing what she believes in her songs and delivers a fresh new spin on country music with every album she has released. If you’re new to the Musgraves fandom or just want to see what all the hype is about, you need to hear these top Kacey Musgraves songs:

Merry Go ‘Round

Country songs are notorious for telling some kind of story, but this one tells a bit of a different one. Musgraves reflects on life growing up in a small town and the drudgery of going through the motions every single day. With soft instrumentals and a clever hook, you’ll fall in with love with this song in no time.

Follow Your Arrow

You can’t get more honest than this song. Musgraves encourages her listeners to embrace who they are in order to overcome the stereotypes that often come with just trying to be yourself. The message is clear, the lyrics are witty, and it’s hard to not be singing along with this one after a few listens.

Biscuits

One of the more iconic Musgraves songs, this one is incredibly relatable. No one likes when someone is all up in their business uninvited, and we can all agree it’s best for everyone to just worry about themselves sometimes. The hilarious analogy of comparing life to a biscuit has never made so much sense, and we send this song out to all the nosy and judgy people out there.

Pageant Material

Another good song about overcoming expectations, this one inspired the title of her second most recent album. If you grew up in the South, a lot of these lyrics will probably resonate with you. Musgraves isn’t afraid to express herself regardless of the mold the world of country music tries to put her in, and this song is a way for her to tip her hat to that.

Late To The Party

Such a sweet song that expresses the heart of a girl that only needs her boo thing to be content and happy. You only need two people to make a party when you’re with the one you love, and this song makes you want to sway to the music as soon as it comes on.  Even if you can’t relate to the feeling she conveys in the song, it’s sure to be a great edition to your chill playlist.

Family Is Family

Everyone has a little bit of crazy in their family, but at the end of the day they’re still your family. Musgraves pokes fun at the fact that you don’t get to pick your family but it’s the one thing in your life that remains constant. All of the little anecdotes in the song are hilarious and relatable, and you’ll find yourself aligning the lyrics with members of your own fam.

Die Fun

Everyone needs to hear a song to remind them to live in the moment and make the most of life every now and then. This song is the perfect reminder to never take a moment for granted and have the most fun that you can because you never know what tomorrow holds. It’s a good song with a great message.

Butterflies

This song perfectly encapsulates what it means to have a crush and/or fall in love. The beautiful instrumentals and soft beat makes it such a feel-good song, and the lyrics can’t help but make you say “aw.” Musgraves’ most recent album was entirely inspired by her husband, whom she met at a time when she didn’t believe in love. Knowing the context just makes this song that much more beautiful.

Slow Burn

This song is such a vibe. A perfect track to play on a rainy day or when you’re studying, this song reflects on the simple life. Musgraves talks a little about her early life and how she’s perfectly fine with living life at her own pace. It’s beautifully produced and is one of her best songs.

Rainbow

Another beautiful song that encapsulates what Musgraves is all about: spreading the message that being yourself will be hard, but there’s always light at the end of the tunnel. You can really see the emotion she expresses through her songwriting and just how inspiring she is to all her fans. If you’re ever having a bad day, this song is one that will be sure to keep you going.

High Horse

How could we not include this song on the list? Such an iconic bop that combines disco and country, a combo you never knew you needed until now. This song is perfect for showing up the haters and grooving to the beat, and you’ll be dancing along within the first ten seconds. Differing a lot from her usual style, Musgraves shows her audience that she is diverse and willing to branch out from the country genre.

Musgraves continues to prove herself in the music industry and just how deserving she is of all the awards she has won. A talented artist with a wide array of music is what has earned Musgraves all of the recognition she has been getting lately, and you’re sure to be a fan after you dive into all of her music and different projects. Happy listening!

Olivia Harris is a fourth year UGA student majoring in Consumer Journalism, with a focus area in Human Development and Family Science. When she's not writing, Olivia loves spending time binge watching Parks and Rec, playing with her dog named Kirby, and eating peanut butter straight from the jar. She is proud to be the fourth person in her family to attend UGA, and will always consider herself a die hard dawg fan.