This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Studying abroad is a wonderful opportunity that every college student should strive to experience. Sometimes, it’s hard to collect the funds or to find a program that fits you, but chances are, with conscious saving, a little bit of research, and the help of an advisor, you can make that trip happen.

At UGA, advisors at the Office of International Education aid students in finding programs that fit their financial, regional, and recreational desires as well as scholarships to fund those trips.

Students receiving in-state tuition can have HOPE applied to their tuition for programs abroad, and out-of-state students can pay in-state tuition.

With that being said, summer is the most popular time that students choose to complete studies abroad. Full spring and fall semester options are also popular.

Here are some tips to remember when you embark on your own travels.

1. Don’t sweat the small stuff— If you were stressing out about anything before you left your trip, try not to focus on those issues. Your problems will still be waiting for you when you get home.
  2. Live in the moment—Yes, sightseeing and popular landmarks make for great Insta posts, but don’t get so caught up in taking pictures that you forget to fully digest and appreciate each sight and experience in the flesh.
  3. Explore! Need I say more? Public transportation is usually easily accessible and can be taken to popular spots in the city you’re in. Wander off the beaten path too; sometimes the best sites to see are those you don’t even plan to visit—they’re those you just stumble upon. Just be smart and always use the buddy system. Seriously. You don’t want to get taken (not all of our dads are like Liam Neeson.)
  4. Make an effort to forge relationships with the people on your program—You have to live, eat, and work with them, and chances are, if you’re in the same major, you’ll have classes with them again in the future. Why not get to know them better and possibly start friendships that will last for a time to come? Save for graduating seniors and external students, they’ll be back on campus with you in Athens. Make the best of your time with people your age in a foreign country! (Family vacations are great, but mom and dad don’t always want to do what you want to do.) You’ll want people to explore with and go out with.
  5. Use this opportunity to forge relationships with the professor and the TA. This is the most intimate time you’ll have with a professor. Utilize this networking opportunity! This person can serve as a great resource and future recommender.
  6. Manage your money—It’s easy to keep spending and spending, especially when you’re using a different currency. Keep track of what you’re spending and record it each day. There’s nothing worse than running out of money before your trip ends.
  7. “Is there Wi-Fi? What’s the password?” These are two of the most common questions students ask while abroad. Checking in with mom and dad and the bf or gf is important, but being glued to your phone is no fun. You can do that back home. Make an effort to unplug and take full advantage of all your new opportunities.
  8. Document your time! Blog, take pictures, write postcards, save fliers from events you go to, etc. – You’ll want to remember all you’ve seen and done.
  9. Be willing to try new things—The best thing about a study abroad program is that you’re able to fully immerse yourself in a totally new culture. Try the food, listen to the music, learn about the religion, buy piece of clothing that mimics or represents the style there, experience more than just the tourist attractions, and make efforts to learn about the history of the places you visit.
  10. Don’t be the obnoxious American—try to learn a few phrases in the native language. “Hello”, “Goodbye”, “Please” and “Thank you” are a good start. If you’re feeling fancy try learning, “Do you speak English?” and “Where’s the bathroom?” Know when you can and can’t speak to people in formal and informal modes. Be aware of customs regarding social interaction.

Brianna is a fourth-year student majoring in magazine journalism at UGA.
Danielle is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in English and minoring in Sociology. You can usually find her dividing her time between being Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UGA, binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and daydreaming about being one of Beyonce's backup dancers. If you want to know more about Danielle, you can follow her on Instagram (@danielleknecole_) or Twitter (@DanielleKnecole).