Things I Wish I Knew Before Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

As much as friends, orientation, and sorority recruitment week prepared us for what to expect at UGA, there were definitely surprises. So, after a month of school, here are some things that I wish someone had told me before I started school as a freshman.

1. Sleep is a necessity. With the dorm life comes endless opportunities to neglect sleep and opt for other late night activities. After numerous post-midnight steak and shake runs, snellibrations, hall games, and downtown activities, I’ve discovered that sleep is in fact invaluable. Though it may seem like a great idea to go out every single night and socialize, getting a full nights sleep restores your body for the next days activities and will prevent you from ending up on @ugasleepover.
  1. You can just say “No”. College, especially at a large SEC school, has plenty of activities to get involved with, and let’s face it: You can’t do everything (Hard to believe, we know!) After my first few weeks of signing up for everything from Italian club to zombie ta,  I’ve learned that, with a million offers flying at you from various clubs and organizations, it’s best to prioritize the things that you really want to get involved in. Limiting activities will also help make time for sleep. Figure out where you want to invest your time, and it’s perfectly okay to say no to the others!
  1. Make time for you. Between all of the college activities and living amongst so many of your peers, things can get a little overwhelming. After a breakdown and a number of mom calls, I’ve realized that making a little me time can help a lot. Taking some alone time on a daily basis to read, reflect, and relax will help rejuvenate your body and mind and refresh you for the rest of your day and week. Take a moment to read a favorite book, get a pedicure, journal; whatever works for you. Focusing on something outside of the college life can help you a ton, and it’ll enhance the times you do spend with everyone else.

Once I discovered these wonderful truths, college wasn’t as daunting and impossible as it had seemed. Making sure to prioritize on sleep, activities, and you time will help you live out your freshman year to the fullest and prevent  things like unwanted stress and puffy eyes.

Caroline is a first-year at the University of Georgia and is currently a pre-journalism major. She grew up in Istanbul, Turkey but also loves the city of Athens, Georgia. When she's not writing Caroline enjoys heart-to-hearts over coffee, spontaneous misadventures, dancing to whatever is on the radio, and posting on her own personal fashion blog. If you want to get to know her some more you can follow her on Twitter! @carolinerenee21
A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter