The Perfect Songs for Walking Around Campus this Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Here in Georgia, it’s only just started transitioning from the blistering heat of summer into the comforting coziness of fall. But even then, there are still some days that creep up to 85 degrees and leave you wishing you hadn’t left the house wearing your sweatshirt that morning. But I’m pretty sure autumn is here to stay for a while now, which means the walk across campus is bearable, and it’s even more enjoyable watching the leaves change color and seeing how much prettier everything gets.

The right songs can make your trek around UGA — or your own college campus — even better, especially with how much nicer the weather is getting. Here are a few of my favorites:

“Yellow” by Coldplay

This is Colplay’s best song (to me), and it’s perfect for reflective walks in between classes. I honestly can’t pinpoint exactly what it is, but my mood is elevated times ten when I play this while walking through North Campus. The trees always look the prettiest there and when I want to work outside, it’s always my go-to spot.

“Autumn in New York” by Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong

This one is the perfect jazzy, calm, coffee shop feel. It’s very dreamy and picturesque, and sometimes I like to pretend the busyness of Athens is actually the streets of New York City just to make the day a little more fun.

“I know the end” by Phoebe Bridgers

This song is thoughtful and all about change, and change is exactly what comes with the autumn season. The leaves are turning new colors, school starts picking up, the temperature dips, and so much more in between. The ending of this song is amazing and works really well for cool, late-night drives.

“pulaski at night” by Andrew bird

My best friend showed me this song, and I actually didn’t like it when I first listened. However, it played again as a suggested song one time during my daily walk through North Campus, and the song paired with the sunset, streetlamps, and leaves really made me start to enjoy it more, now it’s one of the first songs I play when I step outside.

“This Town” by Niall Horan

Niall’s solo debut post-1D is perfect for fall. In fact, his whole first album is; the singer-songwriter vibe and acoustic melodies on every song are either cozy, reflective, or both. The album cover and concept photos also have a nice fall feel — it was released in October, so you can definitely see how the season is reflected in his work.

“There she goes” by the La’s

Nothing screams “fall” more than Gilmore Girls, so this should definitely be on your playlist. This song opens up the first episode of the show, setting the tone for the rest of the series, and it’ll also be the best way to set the tone for your day.

“The Only Exception” by Paramore

I’m obsessed with Paramore (literally I will bring them up at any given chance), and this is one of their most fitting songs for the fall. The slow guitar and the buildup to the bridge are really good and you’ll have it on loop.

“Autumn Leaves” by Ed Sheeran

The title is a given, and Ed is really good at creating a nice, ambient feeling. Listening makes me feel like the leaves are literally falling down all around me and the wind is blowing in my hair as I sip my chai latte, even if none of those are actually happening in the moment.

“Begin Again” by Taylor Swift

Like in Phoebe’s song “I Know the End,” Taylor sings about change and new beginnings, which is a huge part of the fall season. This is also one of my favorite songs on Red, so even when it’s not the fall, it’s on repeat.

“Kiss Me” by Sixpence None the richer

Aside from being one of the greatest songs ever, this song feels exactly how I envision the fall — cozy bonfires, being with friends, spontaneous adventures, and romanticizing everything. It always puts me in a good mood no matter what.

Even though we’re still seeing some hot days in Georgia, I still love getting my chai latte and taking my autumn walks regardless. If you need some more playlist inspo, here’s mine!

Gabby/Spotify

Happy fall!

Gabby Floyd is a fourth year Special Education major at UGA. She loves social justice, Olive Garden breadsticks, and Spider-Man movies. In her free time, she's usually reading, binge watching Glee, or making niche Spotify playlists.