This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

In 2005, Rick Riordan released The Lightning Thief, the first book in his series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians — a fantasy, coming-of-age series about Greek demigods learning how to handle their powers all while going on dangerous quests and trying to have some semblance of a normal life. The series would go on to have four more books, two spin-off series called Heroes of Olympus and Trials of Apollo, two movies, and now an upcoming TV series on Disney Plus that promises to be everything fans and the author dreamed.

Maybe I’m a bit biased, but the franchise doesn’t get the attention and acclaim it deserves, partly because it was overshadowed by Harry Potter’s success, and partly because its two movie adaptations…weren’t all that great. The Lightning Thief was okay enough (I still love to watch it occasionally), but Sea of Monsters was terrible. The characters were portrayed horribly; the plots didn’t follow the books at all; the actors didn’t have the heart or passion to read up on the franchise, and Rick didn’t have as much creative freedom and control as he would have liked. With the upcoming series, he handpicked each cast member, stating that everyone — especially the main trio — is exactly how imagined the characters would be. He said each actor perfectly portrayed his vision and he’s very proud and excited for the show.

Despite this, the series continues to have a very solid and loyal fandom that’s pretty big, very supportive, and still growing. The books are well-written and captivating, but a generous contributing factor to Percy Jackson’s success is how easy it is to relate to the character and see yourself in their shoes.

Riordan wrote the series for his son who had ADHD and dyslexia. He was also extremely into Greek mythology and Rick wanted to highlight how these differences can strengthen children rather than make them outcasts. In the series, all demigods have ADHD in regular mortal settings, but during quests and training, it manifests as battle sense and quick reflexes. Their dyslexia in the real world gives them trouble in school, but it allows them to read the Greek alphabet and decipher messages that mortals can’t see.

The books also feature characters that are a part of the LGBTQ+ community, giving children struggling with their identity fun characters to see themselves in. There are several characters of color as well, so children who come from different cultures and ethnicities can connect to the books. I feel as if it was rare for media in the early 2000s to be so open and diverse, especially regarding children and young teens.

The problems the children face outside of fighting Greek gods and mythological monsters are also normal, everyday things that children face in the real world. Bullying, parental issues, loss of a family member or a friend, low self-esteem, trouble in school, and other relatable themes. As a kid, it’s not uncommon to feel isolated and confused, and seeing that these issues aren’t exclusive to just you can make the situation seem less heavy. But even as a teenager or an adult, these problems can still be relevant to you. It’s always good to know that whatever you’re going through is normal and the Percy Jackson series has a wealth of different topics that everyone has come across at least once.

Another reason the series is so great is that it’s just fun. It really leans into the fact that the characters are kids and it’s so apparent in the way they speak and act and the decisions they make. The silliness is very reminiscent of what it’s like to be a kid. I also like that we get to see the characters age and grow. The series starts with Percy being 12 years old, and the newest book focuses on him trying to get into college. I love watching characters develop over long periods. I started reading the series when I was around seven or eight, just waiting to be 12 years old like Percy. Now I’m older than them, but college is the main focus for both of us. So in a cheesy way, it kind of feels like we grew up right alongside each other.

And I’ll be the first to admit that the series does have some faults. It was still written in the early 2000s, so there are some annoying stereotypes that come into play from time to time, and there are some things in the books that you might side-eye. (In the series, it’s said that some historical figures and celebrities are also demigods; Harriet Tubman is written to be a child of Hermes, which is…questionable). I think loving something also includes being able to point out its flaws, and Percy Jackson definitely has its quirks.

However, I think we still owe some credit to the series for helping children become more comfortable with their identity and showing them that their differences aren’t necessarily disadvantages. It’s an immersive series and it’s really good at making readers feel like they can step right into the books and fit in. It’s also an easy way to get an introduction to Greek mythology.

The characters, worldbuilding, and premise of Percy Jackson are so exceptional that it too deserves everything Harry Potter is getting. A Percy Jackson theme park would be insane. A real-life Mount Olympus or Camp Half-Blood is sure to be a huge hit, and Disney should definitely hop on it as soon as possible. I want to be able to see Percy Jackson merch everywhere.

The series’ relatability and the fact that it’s easily digestable plays a huge role in its success. Percy Jackson has opened up a space for children and teens to be who they are, and the diverse array of characters and stories gives everyone the opportunity to see themselves represented. This factor has been enhanced with Grover being South Asian and Annabeth being Black in the show. The series did blind casting, and now a whole new generation of children of color get to see themselves in roles of magic, power, and intelligence — which is not always common.

All in all, I love the mark Percy Jackson and the Olympians has left on its audiences. It’s well-loved and the fanbase is strong. Aside from that, I just wish it was appreciated a little more. I do think the show will help it get a fresh, new image with the general public, especially considering what happened with the movies.

I won’t ever pass up the opportunity to talk about the series; I hold it near and dear to my heart and everyone who knows me can vouch for that (my autographed copy of The Son of Neptune is my most prized possession). I’m so excited to see where the new show goes, how it impacts the franchise as a whole, and what it does for both new and old fans alike.

Gabby Floyd is a fourth year Special Education major at UGA. She loves social justice, Olive Garden breadsticks, and Spider-Man movies. In her free time, she's usually reading, binge watching Glee, or making niche Spotify playlists.