Summer Road Trip Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Congratulations! You made it through another school year! Insert fist pump here. You’ve guzzled countless cans of Monster Energy Drink and battled your way through sleepless nights in the SLC. You survived finals. Now it’s time for some TLC.

Step one: Throw away the sticky note bookmarks and random bad grades shoved hastily into the confines of your text books’ inner pages. Drive to the nearest book store, and sell back your books. Feel the instant satisfaction of cash in your hands. This will result in an immediate feeling of liberation. Resist the urge to run straight to the bars with your new fortune.

Step two: Pay $3.72/gallon for gas and fill up your car. This may not sound like a fun way to spend your new money, but it will be worth it. I promise. Call up your buds, pack up the car, and drive.

You’re young and temporarily free from the responsibilities of school. Drive anywhere; the lake, the beach, or your friend’s apartment in South Carolina. Just drive. The fun is in the journey. Order the special at a mom and pop’s restaurant. Meet Mom and Pop. Pull over and take pictures next to the World’s Largest Rocking Chair. Roll down the windows, laugh hard, sing loud, and don’t forget your road trip essentials.

1. Mixtape: Music is absolutely imperative for a successful road trip. The person in the front passenger seat is the designated DJ. This is a privilege. As DJ you set the tone of the car. Do not take your obligations lightly. Crank up the jams. The louder the better.
  2. Camera: You don’t want to be saying “I wish I had a camera” when Lindsey spews sweet tea through her nose while laughing at the dinner table. Capture every moment.
  3. Sense of adventure: Be spontaneous. Unplanned adventures are usually the most memorable.
  4. Navigation system: This will be necessary for when your sense of adventure gets you twisted around the cobblestone streets of Charleston. (See number 3).
  5. Snacks: The more calories the better. You’re on vacation. No road trip is complete without Twizzlers, chocolate covered pretzels, or Cheetos. If the steering wheel is not covered in an orange film of cheese, you failed.