Sarah Gardner: Guide Dog Trainer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Coming from Alpharetta, GA, this week’s Campus Celebrity is Sarah Gardner. Sarah, now a junior at UGA, is majoring in biology and hopes to “work with marine animals either in the ocean or in an aquarium.” Having an unwavering love for animals of all kinds, she decided to get involved with the Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind in order to make a difference.  

“Besides the obvious cuteness factor, I wanted to help make someone’s life better,” Sarah responded when asked why she chose to get involved. By sophomore year, Sarah decided to get active and began to “camp” dogs {watching a raiser’s puppy for a short time}.  “After two months of camping, I decided to take on the challenge.”

After realizing how much she loved camping the dogs each month, Sarah decided to raise and train a puppy through the foundation, and ended up forming an unbreakable bond with her guide-dog-in-training, Whitley. As a raiser, her duty is to “socialize the dogs and get them used to as many environments as possible that they could encounter as a working guide dog.”  Not only has she left her mark on Whitley, but her little pup seems to have had a lasting effect on her, too. Thanks to the foundation, her four-legged friend has taught her how to handle life when it gets a little *ruff*.

“Little did I know, the dog’s job is to teach us to live in the moment and enjoy the journey we are on together,” she says. “Each moment is new and involves overcoming fears, showing unconditional love, and expressing loyalty. No one is perfect or on their A-game 24/7 and we are all (furry or not) programmed to make mistakes every once in a while.”

Though raising a guide dog puppy is no easy task and requires a lot of commitment and dedication, Sarah believes that the outcome is worth it. 

“The Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind is a wonderful organization and I am proud to be a representative,” she claims.

Confirming her love and devotion to the foundation, Sarah also works as a Group Leader, which consists of helping the group’s area coordinator (AC) plan and conduct monthly meetings.  

“At the meetings, I help watch raiser/puppy teams and explain to applicants and campers what the raiser/puppy teams are working on,” she explains.

And when she’s not helping out with the Guide Dog Foundation, you can find her on “puppy play dates,” hanging out with friends, crafting, or simply walking around the Founder’s Garden, most likely with Whitley in tow.

Sarah’s selfless commitment to the Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind sets an excellent example for the rest of UGA’s student body.

Thanks, Sarah!